Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutters and Mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutters-mats-t188476.html)

Neesie 05-09-2012 09:37 AM

I have three Olfa cutting mats (different sizes) and several cutters. The cutter I use most often, is Fiskars. I really like this particular cutter because all I have to do is push a button, with my thumb, to retract the blade.

luvTooQuilt 05-09-2012 09:42 AM

Im sorry to be the one to tell you but no matter which mat you decide on, count on having to buy again in yout lifetime.. lol.. I had to replace my self healing 33x55 mat after its 20 year life.. lol... i cut right thru the horizontal ZERO line up to 10 and Vertical Zero line up to 14.. cant see the 10, 15, 20,25 lines anymore - RIP my wonderful old mat you.. lol..

I have the sew/fit self healing big mats... 33x55 & the 40x72
fiskers, two -13x13 large revolving mat
Olfa 17x23- hate it.. too thin..
dritz 12x18 - like the bright yellow against the blue but still to thin..
Omni grid 12x17 fold away mat and pad
Omni grid 7x7 fold away mat and grid
the 4x4 june taylor board and pressing mat - great for small cuts

I like the Olipfa rulers, hate the creative grids too busy but hold they still on fabric great!!
I have tons of Creative grids, Omni, Quilt in a day,June taylor rulers and templates..
I have both yellow, black and green, white grids rulers and templates; depending on what fabric determines what ruler i use.. Im a notion and gadget junkie...

I Use olfa hand squeeze retractable rotary cutters; 60mm, 45, and the thumb/finger retractable olfa 28mm one.. and use Olfa blades in all of them..

I have the fiskars blue and orange 45mm but too wobbly so its now used for paper and templates..

Christine George 05-09-2012 10:46 AM

Welcome from Milwaukee. The other girls have pretty much summed up what you need. You'll find what's comfortable for you. I just wanted to ad that if you wait for your JoAnn 50% off coupon your mats and cutters are much more reasonable. The coupons also work for buying more blades on line. Good luck. Talk to us often.

tngal22 05-09-2012 10:49 AM

Just an FYI, Rotary Cutting tools and mats are to be 50% May 11 - 13 at JoAnn's. Just saying...I need a new one so I am sure I will be going. And I have a $5 off $25 or more, including sale priced items!!

luvTooQuilt 05-09-2012 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 5205217)
Just an FYI, Rotary Cutting tools and mats are to be 50% May 11 - 13 at JoAnn's. Just saying...I need a new one so I am sure I will be going. And I have a $5 off $25 or more, including sale priced items!!

i have bought most of my (small) mats, cutters, blades, notions at Joannes with a coupon.. the specialty ones i buy on amazon or at the lqs when they have sales or demos.. my larger mats i have to get them online.. but well worth the $100 price after 20+ years of use..

elizajo 05-09-2012 11:16 AM

I bought the June Tailor Shape Cutter Plus 18" X 24" size last month on Amazon.com and love how fast and accurate I can cut pieces now. About the only way you can goof is to mess up the mental math or mis-align your horizontal fold before cutting. I do make a little chart for myself if I have to make multiple widths or fractional strips. (for instance: 3.5, 7.0, 10.5, 12.0, 13.5, 15.5, 17.5 for 3.5", 2" and 1.5"). I write it on an index card and place it next to the mat. Once I did that I could cut up a yard of fabric in a hurry.

Of course you will probably need a 24" X 36" mat or larger to use the ruler. I like to flip it on the plain side for cutting strips. My Olfa mat is really old, I'm assuming they still are made with a plain side. The 60mm Olfa hand squeeze rotary cutter is what I like to use with a regular 6" X 24" ruler, but I found that it is a little harder to fit in the slot starting point on the June Tailor shape cutter than the 45mm. Now I need to save for the 45mm ergonomic rotary cutter.

AliKat 05-09-2012 11:27 AM

For new quilters: the Olfa rotary mat. The rotary cutter you use depends on how they feel in your hand. some are heavy and some are light. Personally I prefer the Olfa rotary cutter where the blade automatically goes in to protective/carry mode when not in use; you have to squeeze the handle to get the blade out and cut. I suggest this one as there is less accidental cutting of yourself or someone else while working.

Once you have made quilting your passion I have different preferences. The Martelli mat. It seems to preserve the blades so they last longer.

ali

sewingforsanity 05-09-2012 12:08 PM

I have a Fiskar's rotary cutter and mat that came as a set that I got for a gift about 12 years ago. Recently I took a beginning quilter's class and forgot to pack mine along. They provided omnigrid rulers and I personally loved them! The surface of the rulers keep the rulers from moving while cutting and the green color seems easier for me to see the lines as opposed to the orange of mine. It also seems that my rotary cutter gets nicks in the blade real often..which means I feel like I am always changing the blades. There is my two cents worth!

Thumbelina 05-09-2012 03:28 PM

Hi and welcome from NE Ohio. I have both Olfa and Fiskar clotting mats.

Suze9395 05-09-2012 06:48 PM

This is a hard question, it is all about personal preference. I have several different cutters, but my favorite is my Fiskars rotary cutter that has a button by your thumb that releases the blade back to the safe position. I have both Fiskars and Olfa cutting mats and like them both. I had to replace my6x12 ruler and bought one of the frosted ones, and I really like it.
What I don't like, June Taylor cutting mats...too much like hard plastic.

For mats the better question might be what size. My suggestion is, if you have the space, go with a larger one. But, remember they must be stored flat--some people store them by hanging them up using skirt or pant hangers (the clippy kind).

Welcome and good luck. This was a really smart question.