Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutters and Mats (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutters-mats-t188476.html)

teriann 05-09-2012 05:45 AM

Rotary Cutters and Mats

Hello, I am new here and to quilting. I want to buy The June Taylor Shape Cut Ruler and it looks like I also need to buy a rotary cutter and mat. What is the best rotary cutter and mat out there to buy? I want to buy the best there is so I only have to buy it once...Thank you!

AUQuilter 05-09-2012 06:00 AM

I have the Olfa mat 24X36 and the 45mm Olfa Cutter that I use the most. I also have two smaller Olfa mats, a rotating mat and the 28mm cutter. Just use your 50% off coupon at JoAnn's or watch for their 50% off sale on the quilting items.

Tartan 05-09-2012 06:05 AM

I've always used an OLFA self healing cutting mat and I really like it. I like the Omnigrid rulers. Make sure whatever brand rulers you decide to buy, you stick with that brand if possible. Different brands of rulers can measure differently. If I didn't have a lot of money invested in my rulers already, I would look at the new rotary cutting system that has a ruler with a edge ridge that the rotary cutter rides in. Check out all the brands to see what will work for you. Bring a piece of dark and light fabric with you to see which ruler has the clearest, easiest lines to read. Welcome from Ontario, Canada and Happy Quilting!

PolkaBabe 05-09-2012 06:11 AM

Welcome aboard on the board.... Enjoy it as many have and do.

tngal22 05-09-2012 06:11 AM

I have a Fiskars cutting mat, but need a new one since my DD bent it and my rotary cutter cut through the bend. :( As for cutters, I have two Olfa's. I just bought the June Tailor Shape Cut ruler but haven't used it yet.

dunster 05-09-2012 07:13 AM

I like the Dritz rotary cutter because it's pressure sensitive. That means the blade pops back inside when you're not pressing on it, so there's less chance of an accident. I use Olfa mats, the bigger the better. The ruler I use most is the Omnigrid 8.5"x24", but you also need a smaller ruler, maybe 6.5"x8". I hated the June Taylor shape cut ruler, too flimsy for my taste.

auntpiggylpn 05-09-2012 07:21 AM

I use the green Olfa cutting mats. I have I think one of every rotary cutter on the market and I tend to grab whichever is closest. I prefer the Olfa Frosted ruler 6" X 24". I don't care for the Omni Grid rulers as I think they are too busy ie: to many lines on them.

http://www.joann.com/olfa-frosted-ru...-x24-/prd9818/ I'm sure I bought mine at either Joann's or Hancock Fabrics with a 50% off coupon.

jeemmerling621 05-09-2012 08:18 AM

I have four Fiskers mats - 1 24x36, 1 18x24, 1 13x18, and 1 13x13 revolving mat. I use them all for different things. The revolving one I use for squaring up blocks, the smallest rectangle I use for traveling to classes and retreat, the medium one I use beside my machine, and the large one I have a cutting table for.

I have four rotary cutters, three Olfa and one Fiskers. I have a 60mm that I love for cutting from yardage, a 45mm one that I use for cutting squares, another 45mm one with a retractable blade, and a 28mm one for small cuts.

I'm not a big fan of the one with the retractable blade just because the way you hold it is weird to me. Anyway, my first mat I bout was the 18x24 and the 45mm rotary cutter and that lasted me about 8 months until I decided to go with a bigger mat.

Jammin' Jane 05-09-2012 08:37 AM

Hi Teriann!
Welcome from Minnesota!
If you live near a JoAnn's, go there when you get 50% coupons. There are a variety of mats and cutters...Olfa, Fiskers and June Taylor are all wonderful. All work well! Good luck and happy quilting! :)

jcrow 05-09-2012 09:35 AM

I have a big 24" x 72" cutting mat. I got a bargain on it and couldn't pass it up. I am so happy I bought a really big mat. It was an investment, but I have sooooo much cutting room. I also use Olfa rotary cutters, 45mm. And I use Olfa rulers, too. And it's true, each brand of ruler is a tad different from each other. I agree with Tartan about buying one of the new rulers that your rotary cutters ride in. I have cut myself too many times. I'm thinking about buying one for myself.