Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutting-mat-recommendations-t299957.html)

Pudge 10-03-2018 05:12 AM

Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

I am in the market for a rotary cutting mat and would appreciate feedback on recommended models. I'll have to purchase it online and can't test it before purchase. Do you use a particular model you're happy with - and what size is it? I want to use the mat to cut applique pieces, not strips.

quilterpurpledog 10-03-2018 05:19 AM

Over the years I have had a couple of different brands. However, far and away, are my Olfa mats. I have a 24 X 36 on my sewing table, ready all the time. I also have a new folding one that I take with me. I also have a revolving one (perfect for your appliques. My large mat is about ten years old. I am just now thinking of replacing it because of hard use-the markings are becoming indistinct. I will get another Olfa. I also think my blades last a lot longer on these mats. Two others are just languishing in the closet and need to be disposed of because I don't like them or use them.

Homespun 10-03-2018 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 8137065)
Over the years I have had a couple of different brands. However, far and away, are my Olfa mats. I have a 24 X 36 on my sewing table, ready all the time. I also have a new folding one that I take with me. I also have a revolving one (perfect for your appliques. My large mat is about ten years old. I am just now thinking of replacing it because of hard use-the markings are becoming indistinct. I will get another Olfa. I also think my blades last a lot longer on these mats. Two others are just languishing in the closet and need to be disposed of because I don't like them or use them.

Use your cutting mats you don't like for bag bottoms!

Pudge 10-03-2018 06:12 AM

Oops. I have to clarify. I'm seeking info on the mat that turns in a circle. Not flat mats. Sorry.

Pudge 10-03-2018 06:14 AM

Homespun - yes, the rotating mat is what I want. Good to know you like Olfa. Thanks.

Yikes! I mean thank you quilterpurpledog. Can you tell I haven't posted for a very long time.......

Onebyone 10-03-2018 06:24 AM

I have the Martelli circle rotating mat and I like it a lot. It's big and sturdy. It was on sale at Walmart for 1/2 off. Someone posted about the sale here and I bought one. I have two of the square rotating mats and they are okay but can't compare to the Martelli one. I haven't tried the Matlilda brand but those are smaller if you don't need the large one.

Iceblossom 10-03-2018 08:05 AM

I don't have any others to compare to but I've been happy with my small (6") Fiskars mat. I don't have a lot of room available to me and am using it for paper piecing small blocks so it is big enough for what I want (actually closer to 8" total size). It turns easily and smoothly and is sturdy. Surface seems to be wearing well.

toverly 10-03-2018 09:02 AM

Don't get the Grey Fiskars rotating mat. I purchased one and it immediately started chipping little grey chunks. Of course there is not an expiration date on them, so no telling how old it was when I purchased it.

Onebyone 10-03-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by toverly (Post 8137183)
Don't get the Grey Fiskars rotating mat. I purchased one and it immediately started chipping little grey chunks. Of course there is not an expiration date on them, so no telling how old it was when I purchased it.

It was probably stored in a hot warehouse for a long time. That is the downfall of gasket material, heat.

Cam's gram 10-03-2018 12:55 PM

I got a Martelli mat and love it. Got when they have their 50% off sale in November.