Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations >

Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

Old 10-03-2018, 05:12 AM

Default Rotary Cutting Mat Recommendations

I am in the market for a rotary cutting mat and would appreciate feedback on recommended models. I'll have to purchase it online and can't test it before purchase. Do you use a particular model you're happy with - and what size is it? I want to use the mat to cut applique pieces, not strips.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:19 AM

Over the years I have had a couple of different brands. However, far and away, are my Olfa mats. I have a 24 X 36 on my sewing table, ready all the time. I also have a new folding one that I take with me. I also have a revolving one (perfect for your appliques. My large mat is about ten years old. I am just now thinking of replacing it because of hard use-the markings are becoming indistinct. I will get another Olfa. I also think my blades last a lot longer on these mats. Two others are just languishing in the closet and need to be disposed of because I don't like them or use them.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
Over the years I have had a couple of different brands. However, far and away, are my Olfa mats. I have a 24 X 36 on my sewing table, ready all the time. I also have a new folding one that I take with me. I also have a revolving one (perfect for your appliques. My large mat is about ten years old. I am just now thinking of replacing it because of hard use-the markings are becoming indistinct. I will get another Olfa. I also think my blades last a lot longer on these mats. Two others are just languishing in the closet and need to be disposed of because I don't like them or use them.
Use your cutting mats you don't like for bag bottoms!
Old 10-03-2018, 06:12 AM

Oops. I have to clarify. I'm seeking info on the mat that turns in a circle. Not flat mats. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:14 AM

Homespun - yes, the rotating mat is what I want. Good to know you like Olfa. Thanks.

Yikes! I mean thank you quilterpurpledog. Can you tell I haven't posted for a very long time.......
Old 10-03-2018, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

I have the Martelli circle rotating mat and I like it a lot. It's big and sturdy. It was on sale at Walmart for 1/2 off. Someone posted about the sale here and I bought one. I have two of the square rotating mats and they are okay but can't compare to the Martelli one. I haven't tried the Matlilda brand but those are smaller if you don't need the large one.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:05 AM

I don't have any others to compare to but I've been happy with my small (6") Fiskars mat. I don't have a lot of room available to me and am using it for paper piecing small blocks so it is big enough for what I want (actually closer to 8" total size). It turns easily and smoothly and is sturdy. Surface seems to be wearing well.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:02 AM

Don't get the Grey Fiskars rotating mat. I purchased one and it immediately started chipping little grey chunks. Of course there is not an expiration date on them, so no telling how old it was when I purchased it.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Don't get the Grey Fiskars rotating mat. I purchased one and it immediately started chipping little grey chunks. Of course there is not an expiration date on them, so no telling how old it was when I purchased it.

It was probably stored in a hot warehouse for a long time. That is the downfall of gasket material, heat.
Old 10-03-2018, 12:55 PM

I got a Martelli mat and love it. Got when they have their 50% off sale in November.