Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Opinions on Olfa rotary cutting mat?

I am considering buying an Olfa spinning cutting mat. I won a gift certificate at the store, plus there will be a members only 1/2 price sale, so I can get the 17" one for 20.00. Is it worth it?
    Marie-Blanche

farscapegal
    I love the one I have. I use it all the time.

Sybil

I love mine! it's way better than the cheap off brand ones. It heals real well and stays nice for a long time.

Thank you! I'm going to get it.

I would jump at a chance like that. So glad you are going for it.

I have the 12" which I paid about $20 for on sale. I love it. The 17" must be even better so my opinion, go for it (and enjoy it)!~

I want an Olfa, but I have heard they smell strongly of plastic. Do you Olfa owners have this problem?

I never noticed a plastic-y odor. Since they aren't wrapped your best bet would probably be go to the store and give the Olfas the sniff test. Different noses might react differently.

I like mine too and didn't notice a plastic smell to mine either. If I did it was so short-lived I've forgotten:)Keep us posted on what you think...what a good deal you have to get one too! Skeat

I like the looks of this mat. I can't afford to buy anything for myself these days so I will put this on my Christmas Wish List. Nobody in my family sews at all and they love to give me what I want, not gift certificates, so I need to provide specific ideas... and lots of them so they can surprise me with what they chose. I sure could use anything to help with cutting. That Go cutter looks really useful to me with my RA fingers, so I will add that too, although it is expensive.

That would be a great buy. I don't have one, but I need to invest in one.

joy

Get the biggest mat you can afford.... you will never be sorry.

Someone else has a thread on here about these and I told her that I have the 12" and it works well, it doesn't spin away when cutting so it is very safe and it is great for any block parts less than 11 inches, but it does keep separating. Works fine and has never slipped, just have to be careful when I move it. If I have a 50% off coupon I will also by the 17", but I wouldn't pay full price for it. $20 wow that a deal. At Joann's even at 1/2 off it is $38. for the 17" so grab it at $20.

All my mats are Olfa. I looked at the Fiskars brand (because I LOVE the cutter), but the gray with bright orange was more than my eyes could take. Almost made me dizzy. :? (My husband would say it wouldn't take much to make me dizzy :? )

The green and yellow wasn't as bad.