Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Olfa Spinning Rotary Mat?

Blog Entries
    I am interested in the Olfa Spinning Rotary Mat, but wonder if others are happy with theirs. Does it ever spin when you don't want it to, causing you to slip?

Also, if you bought the 12" one, did you regret that you didn't get the 17"? It's considerably more money, so I would definitely want to hear some positive feedback before spending that much money.

Thanks!

First time I bought a "12 in", but discovered when you are blocking 12.5 blocks, you are right at edge and I didn't feel comfortable using it, left that one at mom's house. Bought my next one that is about 14 in and love it. Sorry don't remember what brand it is (at work now can't look), but bought at Joann's. Don't have problem with it slipping/spinning accidentally.

I bought the spinning mat to take to classes. So far, no problem with renegade spinning!

Mine doesn't spin away and it is great for any block parts less than 11 inches, but it does keep separating. Works fine and has never slipped, just have to be careful when I move it. If I have a 50% off coupon I will also by the 17", but I wouldn't pay full price for it.

Blog Entries
    I also have the 12" one and I love it. I have not had any problems with it slipping either. Later I would like to get the 17" one.

I have the 17" one and love it.. Mine is very stable when cutting and a godsend when squaring up blocks or cutting HST.. don't have to pick up and move what you are cutting.

I would get the largest one I could afford, don't think you will regret it.

I have the 12 inch. It dosnt spin you have to move it. The top fits into a hole in the bottom piece. I love it.

Blog Entries
    I have the 12" one. I use it mostly to take to classes and workshops. It's very useful to have next to my machine. I wonder why they are so expensive?

I've noticed Joann's is also selling a smaller size, think that would be great for the smaller cuttings that are done. I don't always get what I'm cutting in middle of mat, so when I get to other side, I'm having to reach. Goodness, we quilters and our toys.....

I bought the 17" Olfa with a 40% off coupon. I find it takes more time to spin it than it does to quickly turn my square. Might be just because it's pretty stiff to turn, not sure. I do like it's portable size tho, that's a real asset. Good luck on whatever you decide.

I have the 17" one and love it. I used a 50% off coupon though.

I have both sizes and I use them both equally. No problems slipping or spinning.

I bought the 12" at JoAnn's it was 50% off, love it, new to quilting so don't have any idea yet if I needed larger one.

I got one when they first came out and have used it heaps. It is great for cutting circles and small pieces, I use it for template stuff. If I am doing strips or sub-cutting I use my normal mat.

Quote Originally Posted by sewaholic
    If I am doing strips or sub-cutting I use my normal mat.
    I do the same if cutting my strips or subcuttin. I have one of those craft tables (actually, I have 2) with the fold down sides. I use both my 24" mat and I have a 37" mat that I bought at JoAnn's when it was less than $20, use that one the most.

Banned
    i made my own for about $12.

i bought a lazy susan from ikea for $4 and then i use my older cutting mat that i got on sale at joanns that i didn't use any more.

i cut the mat down to fit the lazy susan and glued it to the top.

it works great!

I have the 12 inch Olfa one and LOVE it! I keep it on the ironing board to square up blocks and.....
    I had another brand (June Tailer) that I HATE! It is on a metal lazy suzan base and has a soft center, and the glue gets soft and the parts separate!

Be mindful of the brand you get! I did use coupons for both!