Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotating mat and squaring up of blocks ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotating-mat-squaring-up-blocks-t263513.html)

sval 04-03-2015 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 7151723)
As long as you are working on HST's, let me enable you a bit more. Check www.blocloc.com & watch the video. No rocking! You can get a ruler that is bigger than the block size you will finish, so get one that is able to be used for your most often made blocks. As you will see in the video, you're going to slide it along the seam line to sliver trim, so a bigger one will work for different sizes. That said, I'd suggest one that isn't too much bigger than what you need - an inch or two is fine, but having a giant one for small blocks is more cumbersome. LOVE them.

Oh Wow. That is so cool!!!!
Do you think I'd need the rotating mat with those? It seemed easy enough the way she did it in the video. Could use my $$$ for rulers.
SVAL

PenniF 04-03-2015 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 7151771)
I have the 12.5 square rotating mat and use it a lot! Half price coupon made it affordable for me.

I have / did the same....and i have to say it's one of my favorite "tools". It is REALLY great for doing any of the D9P or D4P from MSQC.

quiltin-nannie 04-03-2015 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7151766)
I know that others can cut perfect HSTs with their regular ruler, but not me! I really agree with the bloc loc ruler solution. They are pricey, but worth every penny. The channel makes it easy to position, it doesn't slip and as you mentioned, keeps it from rocking. While you can get away with the 6.5 inch size, and cut that size & anything smaller, I've been buying the other sizes as needed for specific projects. If I have to cut 100 HST for a project it's worth it to me to have the right size Bloc Loc ruler and my rotating mat. The job goes quickly and the accuracy is wonderful. I think the only place that sells all the sizes is the manufacturer, so no 40% off!

I agree! Love my bloc loc!

Onebyone 04-03-2015 06:36 AM

I bought the first rotating mat when it came out and it is rectangle and made by Elna. The mat can be replaced using any 12 x 18 mat. I use it for most all small cutting jobs. My guild has the round and square rotating mats and they are handy to have when needed. I use the Bloc Loc rulers to square up HSTs. The right tool for the job is always best.

Barb in Louisiana 04-03-2015 07:24 AM

I have several of the rotating mats. I thought they would be great for squaring up, but since you have to move the ruler anyway, I find it easier just to turn the block.

Jennifer23 04-03-2015 07:37 AM

I've been considering buying a BlocLoc ruler for squaring up small blocks for exactly the reason you state - on small blocks, the ruler always wobbles.

I didn't use my rotating mat much until I took a class on "disappearing" blocks. We made disappearing pinwheels, and being able to rotate the whole mat when doing the second set of cuts was priceless. Don't consider the mat a waste; you might find a better use for it in the future.

tessagin 04-03-2015 07:37 AM

Same here when I got mine. Never had "rocking" issues, though. I use mine a lot.

Originally Posted by Deb watkins (Post 7151771)
I have the 12.5 square rotating mat and use it a lot! Half price coupon made it affordable for me.

mike'sgirl 04-03-2015 10:06 AM

I really like Eleanor Burns' way of trimming hst. I don't have to open them up, just trim the tips and then the sides, open up and press.

mike'sgirl 04-03-2015 10:07 AM

I thought she meant that the ruler she used was great, it rocked!lol

KalamaQuilts 04-03-2015 10:16 AM

My rotating mats don't rock, very useful tool. Mine are fiskers, I think it is the olfas that rock.