Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotating mat and squaring up of blocks ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotating-mat-squaring-up-blocks-t263513.html)

AliKat 04-03-2015 12:17 PM

Another option, if possible:
I have a cutting center on wheels where I can go around it rather than needing to use my Brooklyn Revolver or the rotating mat. This works great for me. I do the moving, not the fabric or the mat. I still have the rotating mat for classes and sew-ins.

Michellesews 04-03-2015 04:56 PM

I agree with peaceandjoy! The only wat I can square up small HST is with the Loc bloc templates...your revolving mat will be real handy for that! The templates will not slip because a groove in them grabs that diagonal seam...they are fantastic!!!

lynnie 04-03-2015 07:20 PM

I've used both the long ruler and a smaller sqing ruler on the Brooklyn revolver rotating mat, you can use whatever you want, no rules here.

jmoore 04-04-2015 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy (Post 7151723)
As long as you are working on HST's, let me enable you a bit more. Check www.blocloc.com & watch the video.

very nifty... I think I need one. I will also check out some of their other rulers. To date, I have not purchased many rulers, just the basics for my cutting mat but as I explore new patterns, I need to get a few special rulers.

kathy 04-04-2015 02:42 AM

when I replaced my cutting mat I cut the old one up into smaller pieces, that's what I use for a rotating mat.

EmiliasNana 04-04-2015 04:49 AM

As long as you are working on HST's, let me enable you a bit more. Check www.blocloc.com & watch the video. No rocking! You can get a ruler that is bigger than the block size you will finish, so get one that is able to be used for your most often made blocks. As you will see in the video, you're going to slide it along the seam line to sliver trim, so a bigger one will work for different sizes. That said, I'd suggest one that isn't too much bigger than what you need - an inch or two is fine, but having a giant one for small blocks is more cumbersome. LOVE them.

I have a set (2 1/2, 4 1/2 and 6 1/2) and they are fantastic. Perfect every time!

teddy300 04-04-2015 05:01 AM

Another option for a rotating mat is to use a lazy susan. My rotating mat doesn't seem to rotate smoothly so I place a cutting mat on an old marble lazy susan and work that way. I also love the blocloc rulers for squaring up. I have another lazy susan sitting to the right of my machine to hold tools, pin cushion, etc.

lclang 04-04-2015 05:06 AM

I have a smaller rectangular mat and just turn the whole mat. It works the same.

citygirlsews 04-04-2015 05:27 AM

Locblock Rulers are the way to go!!

As long as you are working on HST's, let me enable you a bit more. Check www.blocloc.com & watch the video. No rocking! You can get a ruler that is bigger than the block size you will finish, so get one that is able to be used for your most often made blocks. As you will see in the video, you're going to slide it along the seam line to sliver trim, so a bigger one will work for different sizes. That said, I'd suggest one that isn't too much bigger than what you need - an inch or two is fine, but having a giant one for small blocks is more cumbersome. LOVE them.

These rulers are the way to go!! They are expensive but so worth every penny! Wish I had purchased these as soon as I started quilting. They make squaring up fun! Love them!!!

tinliz 04-04-2015 09:56 AM

I am making a mini quilt that has many 1.5" HS and QS triangles. I was lucky to purchase a June Taylor ruler designed especially to cut these when it was on sale with an additional 20% off at JAF. It works for squares that are in 1/2 inch increments. The regular shape cutter works for squares that are in even inch increments. It sure beats tearing the paper off of triangles pieced with tangles. As for the rotary mat, I have one, but a small mat works just as well.