Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotating mats vs just turning small mat around (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotating-mats-vs-just-turning-small-mat-around-t273791.html)

Rose S. 12-27-2015 08:52 PM

Rotating mats vs just turning small mat around

I don't know why I even consider getting a rotating mat...for years I have just always kept a couple smaller mats near by, and just turn them around when cutting squares. If the block is to be smaller than the ruler, I just turn the fabric around.

However, I have wondered are there advantages to have the base under the mat. Has anyone else went from just turning a small mat around to a rotating mat? Did you think it was money well spent or money wasted?

Gramie bj 12-27-2015 09:35 PM

I like my rotating mat. Have had it for years it is flat to the table, and square. I think I got it at Joann's paid maybe $25 for it with a coupon.. When trying to just turn a small mat it seemed I always moved the fabric and had to realign everything. I did try one of the new round rotating mats. Did not care for it, seemed set to high off table and had a small lip that got in my way. Way over priced for me.

Rose S. 12-27-2015 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 7415484)
I like my rotating mat. Have had it for years it is flat to the table, and square. I think I got it at Joann's paid maybe $25 for it with a coupon.. When trying to just turn a small mat it seemed I always moved the fabric and had to realign everything. I did try one of the new round rotating mats. Did not care for it, seemed set to high off table and had a small lip that got in my way. Way over priced for me.

You answered an unasked question...I wondered about the round ones, and noticed the one I was looking at said it had a lip...I was wondered if it would get in the way! And I also thought it seemed high off the table. I didn't asked because I thought I was already trying to explain too much. LOL

quiltingcandy 12-27-2015 09:59 PM

I bought one at a quilt show, it was a good deal. But I rarely use it. Every so often I think about getting rid of it, but think the minute I do I will want to do a fussy cut quilt so it stays under the other square rulers.

DebraK 12-27-2015 10:28 PM

Mine was a gift and i love it. don't know about any lips ;-) I think you know the answer to your question. Your way works just as well.

Peckish 12-27-2015 10:36 PM

I got a small rotating mat a few years ago, back when they first became available. I didn't care much for it because it seemed to have a high center, and when I cut, the edges of the mat moved down to the table and my cuts were off. I stuck it in a box somewhere.

One of my cutting mats is a 12" square, when I need to rotate it, I just put it on a piece of plywood that is about 18" square, make my cut, then rotate the plywood.

DOTTYMO 12-27-2015 10:59 PM

I have one but must admit I use it rarely because I don't very often have the need to rotate. It does work well when I use it. 91/2" blocks were my last attempt at squaring on the mat did an excellent job.
not sure about saying buy one, as I could have just used a smallest mat and rotated it on my larger mat.

mawluv 12-28-2015 12:30 AM

I have a small 8" one, got it at Walmart a few years ago. Got it just to try it out to see if I wanted to invest in a large one. I love it and use it all the time. Never saw the need for a larger one. Start with a small one like I did and for $6-8, you'll know whether you like the rotating ones better!

pojo 12-28-2015 02:25 AM

I like my alot.
Bought two of them at Walmart.

ckcowl 12-28-2015 03:36 AM

I have one of the square ones. I love it and use it a lot. Keeps everything lined up nicely, I manage much more accurate cuts. I use it next to my machine when paperpiecing too.