Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotating mats vs just turning small mat around (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotating-mats-vs-just-turning-small-mat-around-t273791.html)

NJ Quilter 12-28-2015 03:54 AM

I have one of the 12" square rotating Olfa mats. Picked it up at JAF with a coupon as well. I like it particularly for trimming HST's - which I seem to use alot of when making my quilts. Had I thought about it and had a smaller mat, I could have easily just rotated one of those. But this one spins easily; doesn't wobble and didn't break the bank.

dorismae904 12-28-2015 05:16 AM

I have the small rotating mat but I use my 8x10 mat instead. For me, the mat works better.

PaperPrincess 12-28-2015 05:46 AM

I have 2. I have a 12X18 Olfa that I bought at Lee Wards, so you know how old that one is. It's particle board, very sturdy and weighs a ton. I use it all the time. Olfa no longer makes this one, although I have seen them at quilt shows. I also have a 10x10 (Beba) that I use when squaring up HSTs it is also heavy & sturdy, made out of thick acrylic. They both have ball bearing lazy susan type bases. They have a lip, but the mat is thicker so you don't run into it. It just keeps the mat from moving.

ManiacQuilter2 12-28-2015 05:52 AM

I have always just moved a smaller mat and that works for me. The mats will eventually wear out and from what I understand, there are no replacement mats for them.

faykilgore 12-28-2015 05:55 AM

My cutting table sits in the middle of the room, so I just walk around to the other side. I've been tempted to buy a rotating mat, but I think it's just because I'm addicted to quilting tools.

osewme 12-28-2015 06:00 AM

I have a 17" x17" Olfa one that I like a lot. I don't use it often but when I need it it's a big help. It was a gift from my DD & she used a coupon to get it for me.

costumegirl 12-28-2015 06:28 AM

I have a square 12 x12 Olfa bought with a coupon from JA a few years ago - the mat is thick and rotates easily. I haven't used it much but when I do I really like it - I should use it more often.

It makes cutting easier and I don't have to move or realign the fabric. My cuts are smooth and accurate :)

I have considered getting a larger one - maybe in the New Year :)

Rose S. 12-28-2015 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 7415721)
My cutting table sits in the middle of the room, so I just walk around to the other side. I've been tempted to buy a rotating mat, but I think it's just because I'm addicted to quilting tools.

Oh, I think I have that addiction, too, but I have really tried to curtail it...the only reason I consider this is I sometimes bump the smaller mat into something when turning it.

Rose S. 12-28-2015 06:47 AM

I just read the replies to this...I am still so undecided. I know I like gadgets, but I do try to really think things through any more. So, I may just put this on the back burner for a while.

Rose S. 12-28-2015 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7415720)
I have always just moved a smaller mat and that works for me. The mats will eventually wear out and from what I understand, there are no replacement mats for them.

I did not know this...this is one of the reasons I am just going to put it on the back burner for a while. That much money would buy a lot of fabric, or buy a couple nice battings.