Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotating mats vs just turning small mat around (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotating-mats-vs-just-turning-small-mat-around-t273791.html)

mom-6 12-28-2015 06:13 PM

I've been looking for a lazy Susan for this purpose whenever I visit thrift shops.

todiesmom 12-29-2015 03:26 AM

I don't use mine except when I am working on small pieces like 2 to 3"...I am doing Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt and have really used my rotating mat to square the blocks...I really find it helps just to turn the mat instead of having to lift it up and replace it on a table.

jmoore 12-29-2015 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by todiesmom (Post 7416618)
I don't use mine except when I am working on small pieces like 2 to 3"...I am doing Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilt and have really used my rotating mat to square the blocks...I really find it helps just to turn the mat instead of having to lift it up and replace it on a table.

Ditto! I had purchased a 12-inch rotating mat about a year ago but had tucked it away... now that I am working on Bonnie's mystery quilt and had to trim 290 HST's and then 80 decapitated flying geese... it is getting a lot of use and we're bonding beautifully. :p

lindaschipper 12-29-2015 04:45 AM

I have the square one also....love it. Just flipping it around saves save me time instead of having to lift it and reposition it again.

AlvaStitcher 12-29-2015 05:25 AM

I have had one for several years. Remembered it yesterday when I was squaring up a lot of blocks. Only problem was that I found myself still moving the fabric rather than the mat. LOL

Sew Freak 12-29-2015 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 7415522)
I got a small rotating mat a few years ago, back when they first became available. I didn't care much for it because it seemed to have a high center, and when I cut, the edges of the mat moved down to the table and my cuts were off. I stuck it in a box somewhere.

One of my cutting mats is a 12" square, when I need to rotate it, I just put it on a piece of plywood that is about 18" square, make my cut, then rotate the plywood.

Peckish, this is a great idea....thanks!!

maviskw 12-29-2015 07:00 AM

My rotating cutting mat is a Fiskers 13 inch. There are 13 inches marked on the top and it has a border around that of about one half inch. I don't know why anyone would buy one smaller than that. You can trim a 12.5 inch block on it, and it can be used for smaller blocks, too.

These mats are not meant to be used to make long cuts. Use your regular flat mats for that. But they work slick for trimming any size block from 12.5 on down.

My only problem with it is: I need to keep enough room around it to turn it around. Sometimes my area is so "junky" that I have to clear a few things away in order to use it.

zozee 12-29-2015 07:07 AM

Same here. I use a small one fairly often on my ironing table where I sit to press blocks and cake small cuts.

QUOTE=mawluv;7415556]I have a small 8" one, got it at Walmart a few years ago. Got it just to try it out to see if I wanted to invest in a large one. I love it and use it all the time. Never saw the need for a larger one. Start with a small one like I did and for $6-8, you'll know whether you like the rotating ones better![/QUOTE]

koko 12-29-2015 07:43 AM

I have a small one that's 6 1/2 inches. I use it when I'm squaring up 1/2 square triangles and love it for that purpose.

gramquilter2 12-29-2015 09:53 AM

I have both the large square and the round Martelli. Use them both and love them.