Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Row by Row (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/row-row-t250582.html)

quilter1 07-23-2014 02:02 AM

I just finished a shop hop here in Southern Ontario and picked up 13 patterns. They all are different and so cute. I'm not sure that I would put them into a quilt, but they sure would make some nice table runners.
The shop hop also had it's own block collection, each shop gave a free block kit- now I have 13 blocks to make with a Canadian theme of red and white. Nice.

PABerard 07-23-2014 02:20 AM

I have 9 from MD and will be stoping at 4 in FL next week when I go down to visit my mom, and 3 (or more if I can) when I go to my nephew's wedding this weekend in PA. I am going to start putting them together when the kids go back to school. I always get so depressed then, this might help :)

I have really enjoyed visiting the shops. I hadn't gone to many and oh was I missing out! It was so enjoyable to see the different vibe each store had. Such a good idea!

QuiltE 07-23-2014 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1 (Post 6813602)
I just finished a shop hop here in Southern Ontario and picked up 13 patterns. They all are different and so cute. I'm not sure that I would put them into a quilt, but they sure would make some nice table runners.
The shop hop also had it's own block collection, each shop gave a free block kit- now I have 13 blocks to make with a Canadian theme of red and white. Nice.

Me too! .... I agree ... a lot of them just do not go together for one quilt.
Did you see some finished RxR quilts? ... there was one at Caledonia and another in Burlington (not on the Shop Hop).

It was neat to see the different July Shop Hop R+W assemblies and look forward to weeing yours Quilter1! Did you check out the sewing table at Country Patchwork ... Good Luck in winning it!!!

nanna-up-north 07-23-2014 05:10 AM

I think this Row-by-Row idea is a great one. But the purpose is to get people into the quilt shops. Summertime is their slow time so getting people in is a good thing for business. And, we're not supposed to share the patterns.... because then, people won't go into the shops. So, please honor that condition..... and maybe after the shop hop is over, it might be okay. This year's theme is seasons and there are so many different patterns that the shops have come up with.

In some shops you can buy the fabric license plates.... I've heard that they sell for about $5-$6. I think those are really cute.

I don't have many shops that are participating near me. I've only gotten 1 pattern so far. I'm in the northwoods during the summer. But, I hope to get a few patterns when I go downstate to help my son can beans. It would be nice to see what QB members have put together from these patterns. But, let's not share patterns until the shop hop is over.

citruscountyquilter 07-23-2014 05:31 AM

I have 5 so far from Florida and on our trip north will pick up some in Michigan and Indiana. Good idea to take a picture as the patterns vary greatly in their detail. I found that the kits are also different prices. One kit I did buy was $8 but other shops were as high as $18. It amazes me that people have had the time to not only collect the patterns from the different shops but also finish a quilt in this length of time. I found that each of the patterns I have really relate to the area where I got the pattern which is nice.

Craftnut 07-23-2014 08:02 AM

I have five patterns so far, but I have already heard that someone has finished a quilt and presented it for their win of the fat quarters at one of the shops I visited. I don't have that much time on my hands to try to get in for a win of a fat quarter bundle. Some of the pattens are just overly simple with little thought, and a couple are so complex that it will take days to get the row done. One I have from a Western NC shop has a mountain scene, with six maple leaf blocks and some applique. That one alone will take me a month, LOL!!

The site is http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/ - click on participating shops for a state by state listing. You have until September 2 to get the patterns, and to October 31 to make and present the quilt.

meanmom 07-24-2014 03:55 AM

I don't think I am going to do the row by row quilt. One of the LQS has one that I want. It is a storm at sea row. This is a pattern I have been wanting to try. I am heading out today to go get it. It will make a gorgeous table runner. A storm at sea is on my bucket list.

dd 07-24-2014 04:31 AM

I have a couple but was disappointed when the shop in Gettysburg only had a couple pages of directions and no pic. Plus you had to buy the Gettysburg fabric they sell. Or you could buy the kit for $12(?). The shop in MD was very nice with a pic and good directions. The shop in MD sent a newsletter that said you could pick up an extra for someone who wouldn't be able to get in, like in another state but when I went in the girl argued with me. My sister and I were going to swap. Oh well, I really didn't need another project anyway.

Lena1952 07-24-2014 05:19 AM

According the to RxR rules, you have to be present in the shop to pick up a free pattern. RxR is to get people to visit shops and promote the industry. Kits may be purchased in multiples in some shops. Some shops will mail license plates if paid for and it is always helpful to the shop if you include a large postage paid envelope for mailing. And some shops will mail the pattern free of charge with a postage paid envelope after Oct 1st. Calling ahead to the shop to check for availability and shop rules for mailings would be prudent. With so many quilt shops closing, please visit and shop your local shops if you'd like to keep them.

Abby'smom 07-24-2014 06:00 AM

My quilting bee group has done a few in the last 2 years and has enjoyed them -- interesting to see what fabrics are used by each of us