Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Row by Row (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/row-row-t266011.html)

eimay 06-04-2015 11:01 AM

Row by Row

I'm thinking about doing the Row by Row. How much do the kits usually run? Thanks in advance.

HouseDragon 06-04-2015 11:12 AM

I was late in finding out about Row by Row last summer and was only able to buy three kits which were all under $10. The patterns are free!

This summer on the Mainland will be two weeks in Montana, two weeks in New Jersey, and two weeks traveling around New England. We will be Row by Row shop-hopping and I plan on getting the kits for every pattern that I know I'll make when we get back to the middle of nowhere.

This time around, I'll also ask each shop if I can take a photo of their finished row (after I've bought the kit). One of the patterns I have has "iffy" instructions without a drawing/photo of the finished row.

BTW, Row by Row was how I found quilt shops in NJ. :thumbup:

It's an excellent source for up-to-date information on the participating shops.

ManiacQuilter2 06-04-2015 12:56 PM

Never done one so I don't know. Hope you have fun !!

thrums 06-05-2015 08:48 AM

The prices will vary based on the shop. I've talked with a few places and found the prices a bit higher this year...starting around $12. However, as HouseDragon mentioned all patterns are free; so you can pick and choose the row kits you really, really love. A number of shops are creating their own fused applique pieces so that will figure into the cost (and a time savings for you!).

I'm planning on touring the western UP of MI and northern WI to MN. It's a lot of driving compared to going to the Green Bay/Appleton WI area, but I'm sure the drive will be worth it.

Some shops will have pins in addition to the license plates. I've seen the license plates used on summer totes--what a great Road Trip bag.

Enjoy your trip!

eimay 06-05-2015 12:57 PM

Thanks. What would be the most you would pay for a kit if you really liked it?

sewbeadit 06-05-2015 01:21 PM

Where do you find the information about the Row by Row? I have heard of it but don't know anything about it.

quiltedsunshine 06-05-2015 01:47 PM

Here's a link to the main page. http://www.rowbyrowexperience.com/ You can find shops listed by state when you click on the "Start Here" tab at the top of the page. The theme this year is Row By Row H2O, so everything is built around water. There are facebook pages for each state, so you can see their rows listed there. It's lots of fun!

Pam B 06-05-2015 02:17 PM

Last year the ones I bought were in the 10-20 range. I only buy the ones I really like. And, I pass them by, if they require me to purchase a special tool in order to make the row. I love the water theme this year so I'm looking forward to visiting some shops!

citruscountyquilter 06-06-2015 02:21 AM

I did Row by Row last year. All the patterns are free. Kits where I went were in the $8-$15 range but for the most part I didn't buy kits. Some had die cut appliques which I couldn't replicate so if I liked that then I bought the kit but otherwise I just got the pattern.

I did try to purchase something at the shop because the purpose of Row by Row, other than to have fun, is to support the quilt shops by driving traffic to them. They weren't large purchases usually because I went to so many shops.

One downside of purchasing kits is you end up with no continuity of color from the different shops where if you use your own fabric you can achieve that to a larger degree.

coopah 06-06-2015 04:22 AM

Prices vary, but I can't remember paying more than $10 last year for any Row by Row kit. The drawback is that each shop carefully selected fabrics for the kits, but they didn't go together well enough to make a quilt top that would look good. IMHO So if I do any this year, I'll get the patterns only and use my own colorway. So maybe just check before buying the kit to see that it would match others you've purchased. The kits are so convenient!