Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rowenta on fire (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rowenta-fire-t163648.html)

quiltgran2 10-27-2011 07:25 AM

I was using my Rowenta yesterday when I suddenly heard a "phiss, phiss" noise. I turned around to see where the sound was coming from and lol and behold my iron was on fire. There was a flame approximately three inches high shooting out from the area where the cord meets the plug. What a shock. I did have the presence of mind to stamp on it and was able to put it out. Previously I've read on this board that another member had a similar problem with here Rowenta. So BEWARE.

Murphy 10-27-2011 07:29 AM

OMG, I am so glad you were not harmed and were there to ensure no fire spread. Glad to hear you are safe. Rowenta will not be an iron I will purchase.

grammy Dwynn 10-27-2011 07:32 AM

:? :roll: :? :twisted: :thumbdown:

Xstitshmom 10-27-2011 07:42 AM

Wow -- you should contact the company and report this problem especially if someone else on the board has had it.

I won't be purchasing this brand of iron either!

nativetexan 10-27-2011 07:45 AM

wow, I have a Rowenta Powerglide 2 and have used it for years. i like it because it's not an auto turn off. I do watch it now and always unplug it when i leave the room.
thanks for telling us though.

QuiltE 10-27-2011 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
Wow -- you should contact the company and report this problem especially if someone else on the board has had it.

I won't be purchasing this brand of iron either!

Or ... has the cord/plug been damaged while being used by these people. Where this fire has occurred, is a common place for damages while in use.

Sorry this has happened to those mentioned.

It's a good reminder to all, that we should make sure our irons are unplugged when we are not close by.

amandasgramma 10-27-2011 07:47 AM

I had a Rowenta burn up on me! And that was before I started quilting -- in my opinion, it had very little use -- but I'd had it for 2 yrs. Mine burned at the iron itself -----and it burned the ironing board cover. VERY scary! I bought a cheap $9.99 Rival at Walmart ----- been using it for a long time now -- no problems

auntpiggylpn 10-27-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by quiltgran2
I was using my Rowenta yesterday when I suddenly heard a "phiss, phiss" noise. I turned around to see where the sound was coming from and lol and behold my iron was on fire. There was a flame approximately three inches high shooting out from the area where the cord meets the plug. What a shock. I did have the presence of mind to stamp on it and was able to put it out. Previously I've read on this board that another member had a similar problem with here Rowenta. So BEWARE.

Make sure you contact Rowent and let them know

Chasing Hawk 10-27-2011 07:54 AM

You would think for the price of the iron,. It would be fireproof!

Furza Flyin 10-27-2011 08:19 AM

Dont forget to have someone check the plug in the wall too. It might have been damaged. Better safe then sorry. Glad you are ok. HUGS