Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rowenta on fire

Blog Entries
    I was using my Rowenta yesterday when I suddenly heard a "phiss, phiss" noise. I turned around to see where the sound was coming from and lol and behold my iron was on fire. There was a flame approximately three inches high shooting out from the area where the cord meets the plug. What a shock. I did have the presence of mind to stamp on it and was able to put it out. Previously I've read on this board that another member had a similar problem with here Rowenta. So BEWARE.

Blog Entries
    OMG, I am so glad you were not harmed and were there to ensure no fire spread. Glad to hear you are safe. Rowenta will not be an iron I will purchase.

Blog Entries
    :? :roll: :? :twisted: :thumbdown:

Wow -- you should contact the company and report this problem especially if someone else on the board has had it.

I won't be purchasing this brand of iron either!

Blog Entries
    wow, I have a Rowenta Powerglide 2 and have used it for years. i like it because it's not an auto turn off. I do watch it now and always unplug it when i leave the room.
    thanks for telling us though.

Quote Originally Posted by Xstitshmom
    Wow -- you should contact the company and report this problem especially if someone else on the board has had it.

I won't be purchasing this brand of iron either!
    Or ... has the cord/plug been damaged while being used by these people. Where this fire has occurred, is a common place for damages while in use.

Sorry this has happened to those mentioned.

It's a good reminder to all, that we should make sure our irons are unplugged when we are not close by.

I had a Rowenta burn up on me! And that was before I started quilting -- in my opinion, it had very little use -- but I'd had it for 2 yrs. Mine burned at the iron itself -----and it burned the ironing board cover. VERY scary! I bought a cheap $9.99 Rival at Walmart ----- been using it for a long time now -- no problems

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltgran2
    I was using my Rowenta yesterday when I suddenly heard a "phiss, phiss" noise. I turned around to see where the sound was coming from and lol and behold my iron was on fire. There was a flame approximately three inches high shooting out from the area where the cord meets the plug. What a shock. I did have the presence of mind to stamp on it and was able to put it out. Previously I've read on this board that another member had a similar problem with here Rowenta. So BEWARE.
    Make sure you contact Rowent and let them know

You would think for the price of the iron,. It would be fireproof!

Blog Entries
    Dont forget to have someone check the plug in the wall too. It might have been damaged. Better safe then sorry. Glad you are ok. HUGS

You should report that to consumer reviews!! It could be a serious defect in the machine. A lot of people just throw stuff like that away and never give it another thought. But people need to start reporting things like that, it might save someone's life or something, you know what I mean. No reports, no recalls!

Blog Entries
    i have been using rowentas for over 25 years and have never had this problem. because of the high wattage of these irons (usually 1500 watts or above) i keep mine on a power surger strip for protection. there can be power surges in your electrical outlets that can be an underlying problem also.

i now have a 1750 watt rowenta iron and you can believe i have it on a power surge strip, just in case.

That is the iron I use. I always unplug when I leave the room. I will be very careful of it from now on, may replace it. Thank you for telling us.

Blog Entries
    wow, you are lucky you were alert to it. good save. and thanks for the warning

Omg! Not funny, but are we related? Never had one get on fire, but I sure have had troubles. But since I got my blue colore Oliso its been great.

Glad you're ok.

Have had to replace about 5 of that brand. My fire was at the iron connection. So many problems with them. Wont buy another one

Blog Entries
    Wow! Glad you are safe, and thanks for the heads up!!
    Kif

Banned
    Over the years I have had over 10 Rowenta irons 3 of which I still own. I know there are several articles on this problem on the internet but I've never had it happen. I do know Rowenta will replace the iron. I had one go bad and they asked me to ship it back. Once they determined I did nothing to it they sent me a new iron. Unfortunately in our society as it is now, people hear of problems and take advantage with companies so I think they are pretty tight about inspecting things before they replace them. Definitely call the company and send the iron in. Not sure which you bought but I paid over $100 on mine so I'd at least try and get a new one.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the reminder to unplug the iron before I wander away from it.

Glad you had shoes on at the time.

I took mine back to Kohls, they are very good about returns. So is Bed bath and beyond. Had bought at both places.

YIKES!

I always unplug my iron when I leave the room. I have never bought a rowenta because I go through at least one iron a year - no fault of the iron. My current preference is Shark.

small town between Baltimore/Annapolis MD
    Sounds scary. That's the brand of iron I have. I always unplug b/c the red light stays on if I don't. I'll be extra careful after hearing these stories. Thanks for the heads up. I also hope you contact the company about the fire.

I had a Rowenta. Didn't last very long...it fell apart at the top. Quite frankly, they're not very good irons. I've read story after story about them leaking, spitting water, burning up and falling apart. I'll never waste my money on another one. I have had good luck with Black and Decker. I buy the cheap ones without the auto turnoff.

I have had three Rowentas and I do not like them. They do not steam well. I love my inexpensive Black and Decker one. Never had a fire with one of them. My iron is always plugged into a power strip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast