Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rows or 4-patch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rows-4-patch-t277040.html)

Jo M 03-24-2016 02:27 PM

Rows or 4-patch?

1 Attachment(s)
I'm ready to put this crib quilt together. What's your opinion? Should I sew single rows or sew it in 4-patch sections/rows? Not a good explanation, but I hope you know what I'm asking. I'd like the points to match up well. Thanks.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545930[/ATTACH]

cjsews 03-24-2016 02:34 PM

Pretty. I think this would be a personal preference. for myself I would sew rows. Much easier for me to keep the blocks in order If you tend to have curves to your toes I could see the advantage to 4 patches

krafty14 03-24-2016 03:23 PM

I would sew it together by rows - making sure to press the seams in opposite directions with each row so that they will nest when you sew the rows together. When I sew them together into 4 patches first, then it is harder to keep the seams lined up. Ann

Stitchnripper 03-24-2016 03:39 PM

I have done it both ways. Can't say I liked one way better than the other. So far consensus is rows. Let us know what you decided and how it worked.

Jo M 03-24-2016 03:44 PM

Good point about pressing seams in opposite directions for each row...something I sometimes remember a few rows into a project. LOL Thanks for the input. Rows it is! I'll get started on it.

quiltingshorttimer 03-24-2016 05:44 PM

I would sew into rows, but suggest that you open those seams where the triangle meets--just finished a quilt that was all half square triangles and pressed seams opposite--well, when you go to sew the next row, too easy to get 8 layers meeting and hard to quilt. wish I'd pressed those seams open on mine.

Also--check your layout--think you have some triangles going the wrong direction in the lower right hand side.

quilterpurpledog 03-24-2016 05:54 PM

I suggest rows and pressing the seams in each row in opposite directions. Odd numbered rows go right and even numbered rows go left so they nest. Please be careful about pressing because of the bias seams in the HSTs I always check each of my initial squares to be sure they are square. I will be anxious to see your finished top and then the finished quilt. Happy quilting.

Jan in VA 03-25-2016 09:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how I do it, in fact just tonight finished piecing a top of half square triangles similar to yours using this method.

Jan in VA

Scissor Queen 03-25-2016 09:55 PM

I've always had better luck getting points perfect when I sew into 4 patches and then into bigger four patches until you have it in four quarters (more or less ) and then sew the top quarters together and then the bottom quarters together. Another advantage to using the 4 patch method is you only have more than half the quilt on the machine once. Well, until you put the borders on.

DOTTYMO 03-25-2016 11:06 PM

I would do a four patch although I have done it the in a row.both work it is your choice.