Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rude quilters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rude-quilters-t62066.html)

Conniequilts 08-30-2010 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

Originally Posted by momski
And if you are a lady in your 50's, brown hair, white shirt w/ print who was visiting the museum today with 2 other ladies of the same age who snickered at a young mom wearing a Mariners shirt.... I hope your sewing machine eats every last one of your quilts!

I don't mean to laugh at your experience, I do feel your pain, but your statement is really funny.

I agree!

raptureready 08-30-2010 05:41 AM

What does an average quilter look like?
Well let's see, I'm average I guess. In wieght I'm above average. My graying hair has "grayed" funny. I have two unusually light strips--one above each temple that makes me look very similar to a skunk. But the gray hair compliments my wrinkles so I don't want to color it. My hair is longer than most 56 yr old's wear theirs. Last time DD measured it was 46 inches.
You know what? maybe I'm not so "average" afterall---and that's okay, I still love to make quilts and most people that know me think I'm fairly nice.
LOL

Bernie942 08-30-2010 05:56 AM

Love Raptureready's solution. Sometimes you just gotta put them in their place.

momski 08-30-2010 07:55 AM

Thanks for the love ladies. I LOVE the pincushion idea and will definatly put that into practice.

The snicker was in response to a statement that I made about the usefulness of a quilt with no batting that was made in NJ. I suggested that it could be for decoration and the lady in question snickered at me and said "they didn't have decoration." I call BS. She should have read the very next plaque, which said that a quilt of this complexity and quality of fabric would be used for display purposes.

I also should have mentioned that I am a historical archaeologist with a special interest in the "womanly arts" of the mid-1800s through westward expansion, so I know what I am talking about. But I just wanted to get away from that woman before I acted as rude as her and let my son throw his toy phone at her.

JAM 08-30-2010 08:09 AM

Love your answer made for the 1st laugh today :lol:

quilterguy27 08-30-2010 08:51 AM

Some people just don't know when to keep their traps shut. I can totally relate. What does a quilter look like? Well, they look just like the rest of us. I am legally blind and I have a seeing eye dog. I can't count the times I've been asked if I was training my dog. When I said NO, he's working. More people than I can count have told me, "well, you don't look like a blind person." WHAT??? And what does a blind person look like? It's much easier to keep your mouth shut and appear to be intelligent than to open it and show your ignorance. Some people, sheeesh!

ragamuffin corner 08-30-2010 08:51 AM

People just amaze me every day. I work in an ER of a local hospital and I enter registrations and unfortunatley part of my job is Financial Councelor for people who do not have ins.It is my job to collect $.You have no idea how verbally abused I am.This is why on my days off I come home at 7.am as I work 7p-7a close the door to the world and paint and trying to teach myself quilting.

Mousie 08-30-2010 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
So sorry you had a bad experience!

I had a similar experience years ago.

May I suggest for therapy, that you make a pincushion in her honor. Something brown. :lol:

oooh, dats nasty...
I LIKE IT!!! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Being funny, but sadly I have had to learn that among those of us that are really down to earth, friendly, generous and very conscientious of other ppl's feelings, there really are some bad apples that drive up prices:thumbdown:, hurt ppl :hunf: and act very rude in public places like museums etc.:roll:
Shame on them...they befoul our lovely craft.:-o
Let's take away their quilting license and boot them in the stash!!! :shock: :thumbup:

Mousie 08-30-2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by lindyline
See if this makes yu feel better.
DD, DGD(18mths old) and I went to Quilt show, couple of years ago.DGD started to throw a tantrum, in her pusher.
One lady turned around, lookes at child, glared at mother, then turned to freind and said"this is no place to bring a baby or a pusher.Look at the space it's taking up."
Quick as a wink DD looked her straight in the eye and replied"Well your a fair unit, you're taking up more space than us, maybe you also should have stayed at home".
Other ladies around us applauded her.
Very sheepish embarassed lady apologised, and left quickly.

APPLAUSE FROM THE PAWS!!!
Hands (and mouth) off my grandbabies!!! They come before fabrics, even!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:

Mousie 08-30-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor

Originally Posted by lindyline
See if this makes yu feel better.
DD, DGD(18mths old) and I went to Quilt show, couple of years ago.DGD started to throw a tantrum, in her pusher.
One lady turned around, lookes at child, glared at mother, then turned to freind and said"this is no place to bring a baby or a pusher.Look at the space it's taking up."
Quick as a wink DD looked her straight in the eye and replied"Well your a fair unit, you're taking up more space than us, maybe you also should have stayed at home".
Other ladies around us applauded her.
Very sheepish embarassed lady apologised, and left quickly.

Love it! Unfortunatly when the time comes to say something nasty back, nothing comes out because your dumbstruck.

that, and we don't have enough practice being nasty! :-D