Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ruffle question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruffle-question-t301090.html)

meyert 11-22-2018 08:20 AM

ruffle question

1 Attachment(s)
I ran into a little issue. I wanted to put a ruffle on my quilt to "girly" it up a little bit. I measured and sewed my satin into a big loop (so I wouldn't have loose ends when I put the ruffle on)

I played around with my ruffling foot to find the best ruffle set up to hopefully fit my loop to the perimeter of my quilt

Here is the picture - the ruffle is done but its about 1 foot too long. What do you think the best resolution would be? I could go back and add in some ruffles here and there - or I could just try to ease in the extra ruffle fabric as I pin. A little bit of both?

I just know the folks on the board have good ideas, so before I went any farther I wanted to get some input. :)

What do you think? What is the best resolution?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604292[/ATTACH]

bearisgray 11-22-2018 08:40 AM

i woukd try to get enough ruffle into the corners so the outside idge of the ruffle lays flat.

that might rewuire doing the quivalent of a miter at each cornet ,- but it woukd use up some of the ruffle.

nativetexan 11-22-2018 08:53 AM

your ruffle foot is supposed to make the ruffles, isn't it? otherwise i just pin on and fix ruffles in between that and sew. Good luck.

meyert 11-22-2018 09:19 AM

yes my ruffler foot make the ruffles.. but I must have started with too much fabric and/or didn't have the ruffler foot set enough to gather the fabric as close a was needed.

but I am thinking that I could now manually fold and pleat to add in more ruffles :) maybe

I never thought of the corners. I am going to have to think about that. (usually I cut my corners round to make it easier to work with the ruffle on the corners)

Thanks....

Rhonda K 11-22-2018 09:40 AM

Stay stitch the edges down. Cut to the length needed and re-attach the two ends. Similar to doing binding but connect with a straight edge and not on the 45 degree angle.

nativetexan 11-22-2018 09:50 AM

I think round corners are much easier for ruffles!

bearisgray 11-22-2018 10:16 AM

leave the ruffle off and it is - imo - gender neutral.

Tartan 11-22-2018 10:32 AM

Since the sides are longer, I would pleat in 4 inches on each side and pleat in 2 inches on the shorter top and bottom. If you equally distribute the pleats all along the perimeter and it should be fine.

cashs_mom 11-22-2018 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda K (Post 8165229)
Stay stitch the edges down. Cut to the length needed and re-attach the two ends. Similar to doing binding but connect with a straight edge and not on the 45 degree angle.

This is what I would do.

farmquilter 11-23-2018 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 8165243)
leave the ruffle off and it is - imo - gender neutral.

My thoughts as well, it looks just fine without the ruffle.