Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ruffle question

ruffle question

I ran into a little issue. I wanted to put a ruffle on my quilt to "girly" it up a little bit. I measured and sewed my satin into a big loop (so I wouldn't have loose ends when I put the ruffle on)

I played around with my ruffling foot to find the best ruffle set up to hopefully fit my loop to the perimeter of my quilt

Here is the picture - the ruffle is done but its about 1 foot too long. What do you think the best resolution would be? I could go back and add in some ruffles here and there - or I could just try to ease in the extra ruffle fabric as I pin. A little bit of both?

I just know the folks on the board have good ideas, so before I went any farther I wanted to get some input.

What do you think? What is the best resolution?

Name:  46636085_362329360982369_3605079743059197952_n.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  604.2 KB

Power Poster
    i woukd try to get enough ruffle into the corners so the outside idge of the ruffle lays flat.

that might rewuire doing the quivalent of a miter at each cornet ,- but it woukd use up some of the ruffle.

Blog Entries
    your ruffle foot is supposed to make the ruffles, isn't it? otherwise i just pin on and fix ruffles in between that and sew. Good luck.

yes my ruffler foot make the ruffles.. but I must have started with too much fabric and/or didn't have the ruffler foot set enough to gather the fabric as close a was needed.

but I am thinking that I could now manually fold and pleat to add in more ruffles maybe

I never thought of the corners. I am going to have to think about that. (usually I cut my corners round to make it easier to work with the ruffle on the corners)

Thanks....

Stay stitch the edges down. Cut to the length needed and re-attach the two ends. Similar to doing binding but connect with a straight edge and not on the 45 degree angle.

Blog Entries
    I think round corners are much easier for ruffles!

Power Poster
    leave the ruffle off and it is - imo - gender neutral.

Power Poster
    Since the sides are longer, I would pleat in 4 inches on each side and pleat in 2 inches on the shorter top and bottom. If you equally distribute the pleats all along the perimeter and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda K View Post
    Stay stitch the edges down. Cut to the length needed and re-attach the two ends. Similar to doing binding but connect with a straight edge and not on the 45 degree angle.
    This is what I would do.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    leave the ruffle off and it is - imo - gender neutral.
    My thoughts as well, it looks just fine without the ruffle.

DJ
    The ruffle is very pretty and does add a feminine touch. The baby will probably love it, too! I think making a few small pleats would work fine. Cute quilt!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
    This is what I would do.
    Me, too, absolutely!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I would make a small pleat on each corner just big enough to use up the extra fabric, sort of like you sometimes see on a bedspread at the corners. It would be actually two small pleats facing each other with the wider back of the pleat section on the bottom. Sorry I am not explaining very well, but it would use up your extra fabric and add fullness at the corners for making the turn.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Me, too, absolutely!
    Me three! Easiest way! Cute quilt