Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rulers....do I really need all of them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rulers-do-i-really-need-all-them-t187709.html)

jljack 05-02-2012 07:59 AM

I have made many many different patterns and used only basic rulers. There is always a way to cut pieces using a regular square, triangle and long ruler. Yes, the special rulers are handy, but they are also expensive. I tend not to buy them unless they are a very special shape (like a large wedge) that I cannot duplicate with my basic rulers.

Marysewfun 05-02-2012 08:31 AM

I have a 6x24" ruler, and I had a problem with it slipping. I got one of those smaller hand grip spring-loaded clamps and clamp an end of the ruler to the end of my cutting board/table and it holds it tight and then I can cut much better strips or whatever. :-)

Marysewfun

SUZAG 05-02-2012 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun (Post 5183699)
I came across a book I bought several years ago. wOW! What a gem. It is Measure The Possibilities With Omnigrid. Shows dozens of ways to use a few rulers. I am a ruler junkie but now I could kick myself because I had all this info in this book and forgot about it! I see that Amazon has the book available through private sellers. Worth every dollar!

Thanks, I just went to Amazon and put it on my wish list for the next time I need to make a $25 order!

linkd 05-02-2012 09:37 AM

I have more rulers than I will ever need. (I buy when the spirit moves me and the coupons are available). But the handiest one of my impulse purchases has been the 2 1/2 inch "Binding Buddy" Its 2 1/2 by 30 with a 45 degree angle cut on one side. I know I can do exactly the same thing with my original 24 x 6. But I can line up and cut so much straighter and faster with this. I think it also comes in 2 1/4 width.

jcrow 05-02-2012 12:06 PM

I have over 30 rulers! I use 3 rulers. Most of my rulers I have never used. I am a sucker for rulers. I don't know why but when I see one online, I think I can't live without it. I've bought two of many rulers and recently gave the second ones to a gal on this site. Made me feel less guilty. I doubt I will use1/3 of all of my rulers and I am trying not to buy anymore, but instead of scissors being my addiction, it's rulers! Go figure!!! I've got a 2"x2" up to a 15"x15" and an 8"x24" and then every triangle out there and every specialty ruler too. I'm nuts, truly nuts.

fireworkslover 05-02-2012 12:30 PM

I'd say to start off you need a 6" X 24", an 8" X 8" or 12" X 12" for squaring up blocks or your top, then a 6" X 6". If you do paper piecing a lot having an Add -A-Quarter and Add-An-Eighth are wonderful. I also use a 1" X 12" a lot. For the larger ones, make sure they have 45 and 60 degree angles marked on them. I also seem to like the Omnigrid ones w/ their yellow markings VS ones w/ black. That's a personal preference, so that's up to you.

crtwelvecats 05-02-2012 01:38 PM

I have five I use. the 6x24, 6x12 I use the most. Then I love the June taylor 12x12 with the slots, and then a easy circle cut which is sloted like the june one and the triangle square up ruler by elenor burns quilt in a day. I feel these gets me through whatever I need.

Neesie 05-02-2012 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by carolynjo (Post 5188134)
I don't have many rulers, but I cannot get along without my steel square ruler. It is about 18"one way and 24"the other. I use it to square up the corners of my quilt when I am finished quilting and am ready to bind it.

Oh! I have a similar ruler, with my tools! Never thought of bringing it into the sewing area . . . but I will, now! Thanks for the idea!!!

Neesie 05-02-2012 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun (Post 5188202)
I have a 6x24" ruler, and I had a problem with it slipping. I got one of those smaller hand grip spring-loaded clamps and clamp an end of the ruler to the end of my cutting board/table and it holds it tight and then I can cut much better strips or whatever. :-)

Marysewfun

Another fantastic idea! Gonna move one of my clamps to my sewing area! Will have to hide it from dh, as he "borrows" them.

Lavada 05-02-2012 02:38 PM

I have rulers and acrylic templates some i use but also some i have never used go figure