Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Safety Tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/safety-tip-t117534.html)

pegquilter8 04-21-2011 04:55 PM

Thank you for the great tip or reminder that the iron left on is a fire hazard. I'm doing mine this minute.....Bye

My time 04-21-2011 05:18 PM

Because I have left my iron on so many times, I always, always unplug my iron when I am done. This way I guarantee that it is turned off. Can you imagine if our stash burned??lol

HeatherS 04-21-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
I finally had to break down and buy an iron that shuts itself off. The only drawback is that sometimes it shuts off while I'm working cause I get involved in sewing and not pressing...and when I go to the iron..it's off.

I also have an iron that shuts itself off after 8 minutes. A plus most of the time, except, as you say, when you get engrossed and it's gone off just when you want it. Still, a shake and I'm back in business. A good investment really.

JudithAnn 04-21-2011 11:44 PM

Try keeping one of those bright springy type bracelets on your iron handle. When you turn the iron on, put the bracelet on. If you walk out of the room and still have the bracelet on you will know to go back, turn it off and replace the bracelet onto the handle.

sewgarden 04-22-2011 01:08 AM

We have been away in our caravan and I accidently left my iron on when I put it away in the cupboard. It was on overnight and when I discovered it next morning I felt sick but there was no harm done.

incoming2me 04-22-2011 06:56 AM

The bracelet idea is really good.. my only problem is that:
1) I'd forget to put the bracelet on my wrist.
2) I'd forget to put take the bracelet off my wrist and put it back on the iron.
3) I'd forget what the bracelet is supposed to remind me of.

grammy17 04-22-2011 07:00 AM

Exactly what I did a couple months ago. The switch is at the door. When I leave the room, I turn it off. If I can see the night light, my iron is one. Makes life easier.

LivelyLady 04-22-2011 04:39 PM

I have my lamp in my sewing room and my iron in a surge protector and when I leave the room I just shut the surge protector off that way I always know if the lights off the iron's off.

dljennings 04-22-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by sharkee
I have the same fear and I was always told to never plug your iron in to the same outlet as your sewing machine because they take so much energy, even if they are on a surge protector. My dealer even told me that when I bought my machine so I plug my light and iron in one socket on the one wall and my machine in another socket on the other wall and I unplug both surge protectors as I leave the room and everything is good

LOL..... you would all just die if you saw the spagetti of extension cords on my sewing room floor!! house built in 1738....very few outlets...so 1 cord to my machine & a light... 1 cord to dd machine & light... 1 cord to ddil machine.... radio plugged into cord, plugged into bathroom socket...

if you have ever been to disneyworld & seen general electrics carrosel of progress, you have seen my studio...

AND, if we do trip a breaker, we have to go downstairs, thru dining room, kitchen, sitting room, over the bridge into the barn, down the stairs (22 of them) outside, around the barn, back into the fieldstone foundation to trip the breaker back... a pain in the butt in june... a disaster in january with all the snow we had.... i did not plan where the new breaker box would be going.. that was dh all the way!

Momsmurf 04-22-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dljennings

Originally Posted by sharkee
I have the same fear and I was always told to never plug your iron in to the same outlet as your sewing machine because they take so much energy, even if they are on a surge protector. My dealer even told me that when I bought my machine so I plug my light and iron in one socket on the one wall and my machine in another socket on the other wall and I unplug both surge protectors as I leave the room and everything is good

LOL..... you would all just die if you saw the spagetti of extension cords on my sewing room floor!! house built in 1738....very few outlets...so 1 cord to my machine & a light... 1 cord to dd machine & light... 1 cord to ddil machine.... radio plugged into cord, plugged into bathroom socket...

if you have ever been to disneyworld & seen general electrics carrosel of progress, you have seen my studio...

AND, if we do trip a breaker, we have to go downstairs, thru dining room, kitchen, sitting room, over the bridge into the barn, down the stairs (22 of them) outside, around the barn, back into the fieldstone foundation to trip the breaker back... a pain in the butt in june... a disaster in january with all the snow we had.... i did not plan where the new breaker box would be going.. that was dh all the way!

Holy Moly! What an exercise trip to get to the breaker box!
I do hope your DH is always around when it needs to be visited.....!!! :shock:

Just think of doing it in reverse if something had to be worked on electrically....and the power had to turned off first!
Whoa!!! :lol: