Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Safety Tip (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/safety-tip-t117534.html)

JoanneS 04-22-2011 07:06 PM

And I thought I have problems in my 1867 house. I have a thick cable going through the sewing room door, under the hall rugs to an outlet down the hall, because I can't have the sewing machine and iron on the same line. Thank goodness the circuit breaker is across the hall from the sewing room!

dljennings 04-22-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Momsmurf

Originally Posted by dljennings

Originally Posted by sharkee
I have the same fear and I was always told to never plug your iron in to the same outlet as your sewing machine because they take so much energy, even if they are on a surge protector. My dealer even told me that when I bought my machine so I plug my light and iron in one socket on the one wall and my machine in another socket on the other wall and I unplug both surge protectors as I leave the room and everything is good

LOL..... you would all just die if you saw the spagetti of extension cords on my sewing room floor!! house built in 1738....very few outlets...so 1 cord to my machine & a light... 1 cord to dd machine & light... 1 cord to ddil machine.... radio plugged into cord, plugged into bathroom socket...

if you have ever been to disneyworld & seen general electrics carrosel of progress, you have seen my studio...

AND, if we do trip a breaker, we have to go downstairs, thru dining room, kitchen, sitting room, over the bridge into the barn, down the stairs (22 of them) outside, around the barn, back into the fieldstone foundation to trip the breaker back... a pain in the butt in june... a disaster in january with all the snow we had.... i did not plan where the new breaker box would be going.. that was dh all the way!

Holy Moly! What an exercise trip to get to the breaker box!
I do hope your DH is always around when it needs to be visited.....!!! :shock:

Just think of doing it in reverse if something had to be worked on electrically....and the power had to turned off first!
Whoa!!! :lol:

of course it only happens when he is out of town for work... and when it trips, it takes out the dining room lights too....

of course, it does get my butt out of my chair... a real joy @ night, cause then you have to find the flashlight FIRST!! never a dull moment in an antique (sounds so much better than old) house

Just Me... 04-23-2011 03:21 AM

I do that in more than just the sewing room. An ounce of prevention! LOL

judi wess 04-23-2011 04:24 AM

My latest iron is one that has an auto shutoff. At first the shut off was annoying but then I realized it was a good thing too. No more worries about going off with the thing sucking electricity or worse yet, falling of the table and melting a hole in my machine chair. I have it in a surge protector.

donnaree59 04-23-2011 04:29 AM

Thanks for sharing this! Seems as if a lot of us have the same worries... us and our irons!

goonberrie 04-23-2011 06:41 PM

Did you hear the one about the lady who would ALWAYS forget to unplug the iron? No matter what she'd been doing, if she and her family got in the car to go anywhere, she'd say,"Wait we have to go back and make sure I unplugged the iron, I KNOW I forgot!" and her loving hubby would go back. Well, this went on for several years, low and behold they head out of town for an extended vacation and get quite a ways from home, and of course, she says,"Wait! We have to go back and make sure I unplugged the iron!" Her hubby said,"Let it Burn!" She begged and pleaded, "Please, Please, We have to go back!" "No way!" he said, "I've had it, everytime it is the same story! GET OUT!" Wide eyed, she got out, he got out, walked her to the trunk, opened the trunk and handed her the iron!! hahah Hope you enjoyed this joke.

lclang 04-23-2011 07:36 PM

My machine, lamp and iron are all on the same power strip so when I turn one off they are all off. If the light is off I don't need to worry about the iron.

lclang 04-23-2011 07:37 PM

My machine, lamp and iron are all on the same power strip so when I turn one off they are all off. If the light is off I don't need to worry about the iron.

OOPS! Didn't mean to send this twice, Sorry.

writerwomen 04-25-2011 07:42 PM

You can also put your iron on a timer that will automatically shut off

JoanneS 04-26-2011 07:29 AM

I'm gonna repeat this - if your machine is a computer machine, put it on a surge protector SEPARATE from your iron and DON'T TURN IT OFF! If it's off, your machine is NOT protected from power surges. If you have to plug them both into the same outlet using one power cord, the safest thing to do is to pull the cord out when you finish sewing rather than to turn it off.