Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The Saga of Machine Separation and Never Underestimate Woman with a Dremel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/saga-machine-separation-never-underestimate-woman-dremel-t272778.html)

Nanax4 11-30-2015 01:44 PM

I love, love, love my new machine. But it took me a week to even plug it in, I was so scared of it. And even then, I turned it on, and then turned it off again real fast before anything could happen to it.

Took me a month before I really started using it. And now I'm flying. You're quite right about that golden scant 1/4". It does all that so wonderfully well. I don't have to do a thing! I'm in love Her name is Rosie.

Quilter 65 11-30-2015 01:57 PM

An update: By the time I was doing this on Saturday evening, it was nearly 5 p.m. Had a dinner at noon for several people so probably just should have waited. NOW, I am happy to report--I LOVE HER!! Oh my, I didn't realize that the other one was performing so badly. Things looked okay, with a skipped stitch here and there. This one doesn't eat metallic thread or make birds' nests on the bottom. I have made several FG and HST with my new Bloc Loc rulers and that scant 1/4 inch has worked so well--did I mention the feed dogs?? Well, they work and it has cut my frogging time to almost nothing. Halleluah! I am in love with her. Now am doing FANCY stitching on my great-nephew's Christmas stocking and it was sooo many to choose from. Why did I wait so long??? Moral of the story. Wait until fresh at the start of the day. Put the other away and get with the program. Confession, I did put the foot pedal on. I can always take it back off, but that leaves my other two appendages free. I will now recommend her and my poor teacher--she tried. Too much water under the bridge from the class to the implementation. Glad to know it isn't JUST me. But I never named the other machine and so far, nothing is coming to me. Now off to a DGD's ballgame. Trying to keep up with six is keeping me busy.

Sharonquilts 11-30-2015 02:15 PM

What a sad experience ... but what a funny story the way you wrote it. Glad things are working out. I seem to recall an old movie "The 7 faces of Eve" about a woman with 7 different personalities ... whatever you do, don't name her that. HaHa.

BTW, my family stands back too when I get on what they call "one of my missions". Ha

IBQUILTIN 11-30-2015 07:17 PM

I feel your pain. My new machine is called Shasta. Shasta last until I'm gone, because I can never afford another.

katesnanna 11-30-2015 07:34 PM

When I bought my Janome 6600 I didn't use it for about 6 weeks as I wanted to get the latest projects out of the way so I would have time to learn about the new machine. I did eventually teach myself to use it, and I loved it. Now have Janome 1500 which has been a learning curve but I'm getting there and the girls at Janome have been very helpful over the phone. I love this machine too.
Now if I could just find my mojo I'll be back on track. Have fun and Happy Quilting.

Quilter 65 11-30-2015 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by IBQUILTIN (Post 7391045)
I feel your pain. My new machine is called Shasta. Shasta last until I'm gone, because I can never afford another.

That is funny! That is how I feel about this one and if she makes it 46 years more, I am sure I won't be the one operating her.

Cheshirecatquilter 11-30-2015 08:07 PM

I have an idea for her name -- How about something along the lines of Unsinkable Molly Brown -- since she's accompanying you on your determined journey to learn to use her in spite of all kinds of setbacks.

bjdemir 11-30-2015 10:10 PM

Thanks for the great read. I am sure you will succeed with this new machine. Give it a good name now!

madamekelly 11-30-2015 11:58 PM

Lol! I feel your pain. My new computerized machine sat in its box for three months too. That was five years ago, and I am still learning what all it can do. I could not take the free classes that came with it, due to DH's work schedule, and I do not drive, so I called the store where I bought it, and the wonderful owner spent twenty minutes on the phone with me learning enough to wing it a bit. Truth be told, I still call her occasionally for help and she is always so pleasant about it even though she no longer represents Brother sewing machines. I am a slow learner so I will probably not learn to use all of the features, but since I am losing my eye sight, I love the automatic needle threader and thread cutter! Brilliant inventions! (I have practiced and can now thread it with my eyes closed just in case I need that skill someday.)

Karen Mc 12-01-2015 03:08 PM

It is very hard to switch after so many years of knowing your machine! But, I will bet, as you continue to use and learn your new machine you will begin to love and appreciate it too!