Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   sandwich Help Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sandwich-help-please-t126949.html)

Dina 05-31-2011 08:17 AM

I don't know if what I do will help or not, but I put mine together on my dining room table. I have to move it three times to get the whole top pinned. I do the center first and then each side.

I tape the back down with masking tape, and I bought some big clamps from Harbor Freight to hold the bating and top down. I also use lots of pins.

You will find a way that works for you. I'm fairly new, but I figured out quickly that doing it on the floor just wasn't the way I wanted to do it.

Dordee 05-31-2011 12:55 PM

thanks so much for the link to this video-I will try this method on my next project.

Dordee 05-31-2011 12:56 PM

thanks to everyone for your suggestions you are all the greatest!

mic-pa 05-31-2011 12:59 PM

YOur church, VFW, Legion, or Senior Citizen center all have tables that can be pushed together and used to lay out a quilt. I have used them all at one time or another. Most people will let you use the tables if you ask. Or a local quilt shop (which I don't have at the present time)

Carron 05-31-2011 02:26 PM

Use lots of tape and lots of pins.

MargeD 05-31-2011 03:23 PM

Since I have not been able to get down on the floor (well, really I can get down, getting up is the problem) I use my kitchen table for most quilts. I get my DH to help (albeit very reluctantly), I center the quilt on the table, then the batting, then the top and tape down each section with masking tape. I use cotton batting which helps the top and backing to "stick" together. I also use the large dining tables at church so I can really spread the layers out, using masking tape to keep each layer taut, then pin, pin, pin away. It really helps me to have a friend, as I have to sit and pin baste, the body is having it's revenge for not taking better care of myself when I was younger. I probably haven't given you any good advise but Good luck - you'll find a way that works best for you.

Pat-w 05-31-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by vagabondmom

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Go watch Sharon Schamber's basting videos. Just search youtube for her name and it'll come right up. No floor, no huge space, and the quilt is very stable when you're done.

I agree - I've used this method for the last three quilts I've quilted. I find a place where I can put 2 or 3 tables together and lay it out on that. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

I have also used this method and love it. If you have a wide enough table, don't worry about the length of the quilt. I just let it hang off the back of the table and made sure it was smooth at each adjusting point as it folds onto the boards. The basting is a little time consuming, but I got many compliments on how flat everything came out after quilting it, which I did on my Designer SE. Compliments were from people at my LQS, so of course I was feeling very impressed with myself. Give it a try. I think you'll be happy with it.

skippitydodahquilts 05-31-2011 08:08 PM

Hmm, I quilt on a longarm, but when I first started, I quilted a lot on my domestic machine, and I used big safety pins for basting. I tape my backing down to the floor, and as I'm pinning, I have this clear square glass piece that goes to an end table in my sunroom. It helps keep the wrinkles out.

This might be obvious, but make sure to press your backing and quilt top. You'd be surprised at how many people come to get something quilted on the longarm and their back and top are crumpled up in grocery bags.

Also, if you buy packaged batting, take it out of the packaging 2-3 days before and kinda let it 'air out'. This will help release and relax the wrinkles!

TonnieLoree 05-31-2011 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
YOur church, VFW, Legion, or Senior Citizen center all have tables that can be pushed together and used to lay out a quilt. I have used them all at one time or another. Most people will let you use the tables if you ask. Or a local quilt shop (which I don't have at the present time)

I use the library conference room. 4 HUGE tables to push around. I've only ever needed two side by side though.

wanda lou 05-31-2011 08:11 PM

I pin then roll down.