Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sashing or no sashing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashing-no-sashing-t313085.html)

lizzie3 11-12-2020 06:24 PM

Sashing or no sashing?

I am making an Xs and Os quilt and I originally was going to do sashing (cause I have never done it) but am now second guessing it, as I also like it without the sashing. Usually I have a strong preference but I don't this time. If I did sashing how wide should i go? an inch or thicker?

I have 42 blocks so 6x7 and right now is measuring 63x54. The batting I have is for 90(ish)x 72 so I have room to make it bigger, if not sashing then a border. Most of the blocks are pink.

(pictures to follow...it may take me awhile...)

lizzie3 11-12-2020 06:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Crossing my fingers it worked...

LAF2019 11-12-2020 07:15 PM

cute blocks. what about grouping them in 4's (2x2 sets) and putting a small sashing around those chunks, instead of sashing each one?

Mkotch 11-13-2020 02:43 AM

If you're going to use the same fabric for sashing as for your backgrounds, I think it looks better with the thin sashing. Makes the motifs "float" or stand out well. Very pretty!

Iceblossom 11-13-2020 03:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hate these sorts of decisions! As you are finding out, there are many different options. Not only to sash or not, but how wide, cornerstones or not, and whether to disappear into background or make a distinct grid among others. You have lovely blocks and it will be wonderful however you decide for this time, and there can always be a next time if you want.

If you go with sashing (especially if you are using cornerstones), many of us find that it goes on better as an L around the blocks than trying to connect long strips of blocks/sashing together. You also need to finish one of the sides and the bottom, again, it's easier done framing the blocks than with what I call long unwieldy strips.

There are other techniques to help when you are using a long solid piece of fabric as sashing. Some as simple as marking the center and or quarter lines of both pieces before joining, or the advantages of "cut to fit" as opposed to "fit to cut".

I've attached a sketch of an exchange 9-patch block showing the sashing already put on.

Battle Axe 11-13-2020 04:33 AM

I love sashing. See my avatar. I use 2 inch wide finished sashing and a cornerstone, sometimes. I think it frames the block and I also do them all on point, in darker colors. Then getting the setting triangles correct is tricky too. Lots of measuring. There are some videos that are helpful. Good Luck what ever you decide. Marcia

lizzie3 11-13-2020 05:07 AM

I never even considered that as an option! But I think it would look really cute. I have an odd number of rows so can't for this quilt, but definitely the next one

lizzie3 11-13-2020 05:13 AM

I have wanted to add sashing with cornerstones to several quilts but I never did it because my blocks are far from perfect and thus sometimes a bit wonky (which I'm okay with). I was certain I wouldn't be able to place the cornerstones would be at the right spot. With your L method it would be more accurate! Thank you for sharing this method, it makes me so glad that I posted.

lizzie3 11-13-2020 05:17 AM

Sleeping on it I'm still not sure...however my next quilt is going to be a dresden plate and I wanted to do sashing with cornerstones on it. So I'm thinking I should do basic sashing to get a bit more practice? I'm sure basic sashing isn't hard but I like to try new techniques as much as I can.

I also can't see myself using the background fabric on a lot of things so might as well use it!

sewingpup 11-13-2020 05:51 AM

I think about a 2 inch sashing using your background color would look great....the X's would be floating.....I usually do my sashing by making rows.....and then adding the long sashing strip between rows....however, it can be difficult sometimes to have the blocks line up right when you do the long sashing strip between the rows and having cornerstones actually helps keep everything straight....so sometimes, I have done it with using the same color cornerstones as the strip, just to keep everything lined up right...I learned about this when I did my first big quilt.....just used long strips in between the rows.....and now I always giggle when I look at that quilt because the rows ended up being so wonky from each other....