Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scary Situation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scary-situation-t176596.html)

Eva Knight 01-23-2012 04:50 AM

People don't realize that the same can happen when they post things on Facebook also.

gailinva 01-23-2012 04:55 AM

Thanks for sharing this! It's sad that we have to be so cautious in everything we do!!!!

kbishburg 01-23-2012 05:46 AM

I have had some weird friend requests from Facebook but I manage to screen them out. But because of Skype (I take a class from Israel) I get all these people wanting to meet me. I see the email and just spam it unopened and unread. That said, I have had the same email address for 12 years (knock on wood), my own home page, and my details splashed in assorted places and really haven't had any trouble. Guess I've been lucky - but I continue to hear very scary stories. Good luck

wolph33 01-23-2012 06:46 AM

wow that is scary

KR 01-23-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 4900401)
And I know it has my home town on this right now and I can't find out how to delete it. Any help? :eek:

Click on My Profile at the top of the QB page. Then click on the little pencil beside your bio and/or other personal information pieces. You'll need to Save each one as it's edited.

THANK YOU for sharing your story! This is exactly why I refuse to have a Facebook page. And I just changed my QB Profile info to be more generic. It's so sad that there are people out there who think they have a right to steal someone's identity, or anything else for that matter.

katkat1946 01-23-2012 07:01 AM

Thanks so much for the alert. Hope all of your personal info is secure.

amandasgramma 01-23-2012 07:58 AM

I had someone tell me one time that "if you wouldn't post the information on a big sign on your front yard, why would you put it out on the internet?".........same thing goes for giving out information at the front door or on the phone.

Nanaquilts44 01-23-2012 08:09 AM

Thanks for the warning. I think we all need to be reminded of this from time to time. It is easy to be lulled into a sense of false security when we are chatting.

Digitizingqueen 01-23-2012 08:10 AM

always err on the side of caution the less you put out there the less people can get to - put your phones on the do not call list etc I never post anythign on facebook - or anywhere else for that matter that I wouldnt want my mother to read or a perfect stranger to know...

CanoePam 01-23-2012 08:16 AM

I hate to give bad news, but there is enough public information on the internet to give anyone your address and phone number whether you post the information on Craigslist or Facebook or here. If you want to check, just put your own name into Google and see what happens! That doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions about your identity (social security number, when you're going to be away from home, etc), but you can't erase the information that is already out there. There are entire search engines that store old information and then can recall it years later even if you've "removed" it from the original site.

I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations in today's world. Whether we like it or not, much of our lives are lived in the open

Pam