Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scary Situation

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Scary Situation

I had my bio up on ebay because I buy quite a bit from there. I put it up 2 years ago and totally forgot I did. I was so stupid that I put in the small town I live in and where I use to work in this very small town.
    Well, I placed a quilt for sale on ebay just to see what the market was like and I had a "Rudy" write me a email telling me how pretty my quilt was and how she liked my bio so much. So I wrote back to her after a week (I thought it was weird that she wrote me in the first place) and chatted and asked about her life and she told me she had a 20 month old daughter and how she's 40 and she is glad she waited so long to have a child and and a few more details and then we started emailing each other and I was enjoying visiting with another gal, even though I didn't know her and she didn't quilt. But then she started talking about some different type of things and I suddenly realized that it wasn't a gal I had been sharing my thoughts with but a 40 year old married man. A man!!!! Wow! Freaked me out! So I went to ebay and deleted everything I could delete.

I have a blog and went there and took out my town and other info that I don't want everyone in the world to know. I just thought maybe some of you have info on the web and might be like me and be trusting and not realize what can happen. My husband said that bad people can figure out exactly where you live and who you are and then a whole lot of bad things can happen to you. They can steal your identity, find where you live and stalk you and many more things than I could even think of. I guess there are people out there who do this for a living. So, if you have a bio anyplace, you might rethink what you want to share with the world and all the bad people out there. I am so nervous that I'm taking out everything I need to to keep my identity private.
    Just be careful out there.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries

Scary Situation

And I know it has my home town on this right now and I can't find out how to delete it. Any help?
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Wow, Thats scary thanks for the word of warning.

I am going to delete my Bio.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Can you contact EBay and let someone know this has happened? Maybe he can be banned. Scary!!!!! Glad you are OK. I get weird invites to join FaceBook, supposedly from friends- who never knew FB cab steal your address book and send solicitations!

Blog Entries
    I believe you need to go into your settings and change your signature.

Glad you were able to figure it out before it got any further. Off to check my ebay bio.

This is really scarey. I am glad you figured it out and yes I would let ebay know. I put some furniture forsale on Craigs list and gat some wierd respones. I don't like this world and all this bad stuff. thanks for letting us know
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    How sad this is as in this day in age honest people are trying to get by and then idiots have to ruin it for everyone. I am so glad you caught this before anything else happened. Such sick sick twisted people out there.

I no longer have a Facebook page, and won't have one either, because ---- long story short --- I was stalked, photographed and had those photos emailed to me, and shot at --- that's right, with a real rifle --- and e-mailed threatening letters like how he deliberately missed this time and wasn't going to miss next time --- and spent over a week in a police "safe house" because a man tracked me down through Facebook. He's in prison now. Don't want to give more details. Still terrifies me. And I deeply resent all these places that want you to "Like" them on Facebook, or won't give you a coupon unless you "Like" them on Facebook, but you have to have a Facebook Page to do that! Be careful ladies. No one was supposed to get through my Security Wall unless they were my "Friends", and I found out through the police computer crimes lab that that's a joke and almost any grade school student can hack into your information if they want, it's that easy. Be extremely careful about what kind of information you post about yourselves. Stay safe.
    MacThayer

What's more frightening is many prisoners have phone and computer access- and even do computer jobs online for their state! In NY prisoners now man the phone query line for the DMV- supposedly just answering general questions and don't have database access. Doesn't make me very happy! MacThayer- Glad you are safe! Still creeps me out that friends and relatives can post my pic and info online without my permission. I worry every time I see someone posting where they'll be on vacation, and how long they'll be gone. Just reading someone's blog entries can give way too much info. Many medical records are outsourced to India! There's no privacy any more.

People don't realize that the same can happen when they post things on Facebook also.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing this! It's sad that we have to be so cautious in everything we do!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have had some weird friend requests from Facebook but I manage to screen them out. But because of Skype (I take a class from Israel) I get all these people wanting to meet me. I see the email and just spam it unopened and unread. That said, I have had the same email address for 12 years (knock on wood), my own home page, and my details splashed in assorted places and really haven't had any trouble. Guess I've been lucky - but I continue to hear very scary stories. Good luck
    Kathryn Bishburg
    Traditionally-built Norwegian lady

wow that is scary
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

KR
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    And I know it has my home town on this right now and I can't find out how to delete it. Any help?
    Click on My Profile at the top of the QB page. Then click on the little pencil beside your bio and/or other personal information pieces. You'll need to Save each one as it's edited.

THANK YOU for sharing your story! This is exactly why I refuse to have a Facebook page. And I just changed my QB Profile info to be more generic. It's so sad that there are people out there who think they have a right to steal someone's identity, or anything else for that matter.
    Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift....that's why it's called the present.
    Karen

Thanks so much for the alert. Hope all of your personal info is secure.
    Pat

I had someone tell me one time that "if you wouldn't post the information on a big sign on your front yard, why would you put it out on the internet?".........same thing goes for giving out information at the front door or on the phone.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for the warning. I think we all need to be reminded of this from time to time. It is easy to be lulled into a sense of false security when we are chatting.

always err on the side of caution the less you put out there the less people can get to - put your phones on the do not call list etc I never post anythign on facebook - or anywhere else for that matter that I wouldnt want my mother to read or a perfect stranger to know...

I hate to give bad news, but there is enough public information on the internet to give anyone your address and phone number whether you post the information on Craigslist or Facebook or here. If you want to check, just put your own name into Google and see what happens! That doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions about your identity (social security number, when you're going to be away from home, etc), but you can't erase the information that is already out there. There are entire search engines that store old information and then can recall it years later even if you've "removed" it from the original site.

I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations in today's world. Whether we like it or not, much of our lives are lived in the open

Pam

Banned
    Blog Entries
    while I appreciate your "warning", deleting everything out of fear is just letting them have their way. I mean really, do you know all of your neighbors? Just watch the local news some night..how many police officers, teachers, priests, etc are arrested daily for BAD things? How many of our Congress/Senate staff are convicted Felons??
    BAD is out there...period..and if you choose to hide, then why be online at all? You would be surprised how a person can find you by just an email address! IF they want to find you!
    We all talk freely on here...do you KNOW who you are talking to?
    Please do not let fear run your life! Be aware, be cautious, but do not live in fear.
    and putting your town in your bio here is no guarantee that anyone will/will not find you! If you are using a name other than your own you are pretty safe!

Blog Entries
    Wow, nothing you wrote leads me to believe that the guy had any ulterior motives other than friendship. I've found many instances of nice interactions with strangers through ebay and here and even an exercise group on yahoo. In fact, it's kind of refreshing when people are just friendly and neighborly in those "faceless" environments.

Some people are nice.

Oh hey, I worked in a PD and really know about how bad things happen and I'd suggest you look much closer to home for people you know - most people are victimized by people they know and far less by random strangers. Sure, you should be safe and secure, but friendly email exchanges are not anything to worry about in my book.

Blog Entries
    I ran into a situation years ago with a gentleman. I started having computer problems and I had written on a computer forum asking for advice. This one gentleman started writing and then started acting like a stalker. I told my husband what had happened and he wrote a very short but powerful email to the guy and told him that he was my husband and for the man to stop writing me. I didn't have any more problems. It might be a good idea for your husband to do the same thing.
    Kathyj

Glad to hear you figured it out before more happened to you. I've hear a lot of bad things about facebook and I agree that sites you belong to want you to like them on facebook I really don't want to belong to it. It's suck a shame that you have to in this day & age worry so much about someone hurting you. We have so many things to help us to be happy and have fun & it's just destroyed by a few who don't like to see people enjoy themselves. Everyone be careful and have fun with each other. Sue

Blog Entries
    my granddtrs are on face book and i had to tell my DIL to take the school and other personal info out!!!! She did thank goodness. although their emails have their birth year in them. I dont' like that either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast