Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Scary Situation

ok I went to google and put in my name. I have a fairly common name and so a lot popped up. I looked at the different sites offered and selected the one that said it would give my address and other information. It was very scary. It not only tells the town I live it but it gives my education, interests, financial status, wealth status, etc. It was very scary. It gives only rough information but if you want specific it would only cost $2.95. So I guess it doesn't matter what you don't put out there. They can get information from all kinds of places. This is indeed scary. They even show who lives in my home although my SIL has since passed away and my kids have moved back in..the site is called spokeo. They probably should have named it spookeo.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Oh and I forgot. They also will show you pictures of me and videos if I have put any on the internet for that small fee.
    Dreaming of New England while being stuck in So. Calif.(the asphalt jungle of the world.) But hey the Happiest Place on Earth is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Can you contact EBay and let someone know this has happened? Maybe he can be banned. Scary!!!!! Glad you are OK. I get weird invites to join FaceBook, supposedly from friends- who never knew FB cab steal your address book and send solicitations!
    I am trying to delete my Facebook and it is very hard to ever get off. Unfortunately the information is already out there. One of my friends is getting my profile, picture and name that comes up on her computer from Facebook and says click here to reach me. She does and my phone rings only once so I can't answer. I wrote her an email and asked what was going on. She is 95, hearing impaired, as well as not walking well and doesn't even use Facebook. Weird, watch out.

MacThayer - I agree with you! I don't bother with anyone coupons that require me to "like them" on Facebook. I am so tired of contests and other things that require you to go through Facebook. With all the bad publicity it is getting, I don't understand why manufacturers using it and other organizations!

Jcrow - I am so sorry about your experience. Thanks so much for the timely warning for all of us.

I have had a Facebook account that I haven't used in over a year. I will be closing it today!

Quote Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
    Can you contact EBay and let someone know this has happened? Maybe he can be banned. Scary!!!!! Glad you are OK. I get weird invites to join FaceBook, supposedly from friends- who never knew FB cab steal your address book and send solicitations!
    You really need to call the Ebay contact #...this is something they need to know about.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

I have a Facebook account, and the e-mail address I use for Facebook is the one that receives a ton of "spam" e-mails. So they try to convice us our information is secure, but it really isn't. Technology can be wonderful, but scary at the same time.

This is so sad. I too am going to change my QB page. I spent about an hour the other day just reading and enjoying our members profiles. Now I am sad I can't read about ya'll. It is nice to get to know each
    other.
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Click on My Profile at the top of the QB page. Then click on the little pencil beside your bio and/or other personal information pieces. You'll need to Save each one as it's edited.

THANK YOU for sharing your story! This is exactly why I refuse to have a Facebook page. And I just changed my QB Profile info to be more generic. It's so sad that there are people out there who think they have a right to steal someone's identity, or anything else for that matter.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely stay away from most of these social networks because of the information that can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by JanieH View Post
    MacThayer - I agree with you! I don't bother with anyone coupons that require me to "like them" on Facebook. I am so tired of contests and other things that require you to go through Facebook. With all the bad publicity it is getting, I don't understand why manufacturers using it and other organizations!

Jcrow - I am so sorry about your experience. Thanks so much for the timely warning for all of us.

I have had a Facebook account that I haven't used in over a year. I will be closing it today!
    Maybe we need to take a moment when we hear of a discounts from manufacturers, stores etc and to receive that discount they must be 'liked' on a social network site. Letting them know that we don't subscribe to FaceBook and because of that, they are losing a every growing customer base. (meaning people who refuse to use Facebook) The reason they use it is to be able to track sales I surmise.

Unfortunately one of my favorite online quilt shops Missouri Star Quilt is currently running a contest that requires 'liking' on Facebook and various other sites, I just rec'd the email yesterday....to which I ignored because of the 'like' clause....Umm I think I will send an email. It obviously must be a business asset to get people to 'like' them on these social network sites.
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

I must tell you all, I don't even go facebooking or twittering, My thoughts are my own except as posted on this board, which I feel is relatively secure.
    pat design

Just a quick question on the original post. 'Rudy' is a man's name, usually short for Rudolph. Did this chatty guy tell you he was a guy or a girl? Or just imply it?

I don't have a problem with my bio or email or address or whatever on my company website, but I would surely avoid offering anything in the way of financial information, or membership in sites which would imply you have an interesting amount of liquid assets waiting to be exploited.

I think that 'liking' products is free advertising plus free marketing info for the manufacturers and on that basis alone should be avoided!

Thanks for posting. You might try one of those companies which purports to 'scrub' or delete your on-line info which you no longer want on line.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reminder to protect our information.

I am on facebook but didn't use my current name or post a picture. My husband goes and adds my picture to his facebook. I could ring his neck. My neices and two step-grandaughters post all kinds of pictures and information about themselves which I would not share with the general public. It worries me that the younger generation is so niave. I am going to try the Google thing about searching my name. I wrote a column in our local paper for about ten years more than ten years ago. People still mention it to me when they see me in public and I live in a suburb of a small town.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

I guess one can't be too careful. Glad that you're alright.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I just Googled myself and the only place I found me was on a quilting site where I posted a wallhanging I made as a memto of my first trip to Alaska. Ironic isn't it. I did find my daughter on Google, she shares my first name. It didn't have her married name but it did have her location. That worries me. I hope her husband is a good defender.
    Trying to sew, quilt or read everyday.

Glad you're alright. Sounds like that was scary. You read about this stuff and think it doesn't happen to us, but then we hear this and realize it DOES happen to us. As we get older, too, we become a target for the 'scumbags' and need to really be more aware of our surroundings in the stores, shopping centers, parking lots, wherever. DH and I taught defensive driving and one section in there, I really plugged the awareness situation. I'm a senior citizen, but some of these people were old enough to be my parents. I have a facebook page, but have been trying to figure out for some time how to turn it off and 'resign' from facebook. So far, no luck. I'll keep trying though - limit all the information out there on me. Think this board is relatively safe.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

I have my Facebook tied to a seldom used email account and have a minimum of info on there. You can set up another account just for liking businesses.

Blog Entries
    Never put correct info on any online profile. I have fun and make up good ones. I may be a female wrestler or a hummingbird breeder. LOL. My phone number may be local cemetery or hear the movie showing recordings. I use free email addresses for any online public postings. DH uses made up profiles too. When I first started using the internet years ago, I took a class on the internet and we were told never ever to post any personal info online. Once posted it is always there.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Wow, I am changing my info right now. Thanks for the information.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    I had someone tell me one time that "if you wouldn't post the information on a big sign on your front yard, why would you put it out on the internet?".........same thing goes for giving out information at the front door or on the phone.
    Very, very true! I have several friends who ask, "Do you have Facebook yet?"...I always give the same answer, "NO, and I won't ever be on Facebook..sorry I'm old, and actually for that matter so are they!!" LOL...
    Kif
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Didn't the name Rudy give you a clue that it was probably a man? Just asking. G

Blog Entries
    Sorry this happened to you.I always think when I read about this kind of thing, how much good these warped people could do if they didn't choose the road they do. So far I haven't had too may weird emails. Getting a few through lately about making money at home. Although they are annoying I just delete them. Have only had two about helping people get there money out of some foreign country. Not too bad in almost 5 years.
    My daughter clicked on a link when she was in a hurry and $2000 disappeared from her account. Thankfully she caught it and her bank covered her loss.
    We shred anything with our name or address on it before putting it in the bin even medication boxes. DH thinks I'm a bit of a security Nazi but I would rather be safe than sorry.
    As for facebook I will never join - too many nasty things happen there.

Hi,
    I don't worry about it, because in our society, privacy is an illusion. If you have a GPS, or an EZ Pass, they can tell how fast you are driving between tolls and send you a ticket. You can be tracked by your cell phone. I am just careful what I put online but I think it is totally random who has problems and who doesn't. Nothing I can really do.
    Nancy Lee

Dee
    Thanks for the very valuable information. Nothing is private anymore. Very scary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast