Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scary Situation >

Scary Situation

Scary Situation

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 PM

OMG MacThayer, that is really frightening!!! I have a FB page and I enjoy seeing people that I haven't seen since high school, my friends, etc. EWE, that really creeps me out by what happened to you. I did have someone get into a frends FB page and then tagged a bunch of people he knew with 2 girls in a bed! It was posted on my site and I about died. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! Also people can just copy and paste peoples pictures too from any website if you have your face on there. I see some people on FB posting that they're away on vacation, etc. Big fat no no. Anyway, I'm so sorry you had to experience such a frightening thing. Me like a ding dong have sold a few things on Craigslist to make some $ and now I regret selling to a couple of people as they seemed very strange. errr They came to my home too! ughhhh Anyway, I feel so bad for you having to go through such a frightening ordeal. Gives me the creepie jeebies.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:15 AM

I don't know why any man would try to pick up a woman on Ebay! I met my husband online (on craigslist) and we have several blogs and etsy and ebay and he tweets and I'm a Facebook addict. I hate to be Captain Obvious, but just because someone emails you doesn't mean they know where you live and/or plan to harm you in any way.
Chances are, if someone wanted to do you harm, it is someone you know. Or a neighbor. Our car got stolen out of the driveway, but I don't think it was someone who saw a picture of it on Facebook and just *had* to have it! It was just somebody who stole our car, and spray painted our neighbors brick wall, and broke into the school and stole all the TV's and computers. Do I know it was the same group of people? No. But I promise you that they weren't stalking anybody. They saw a car on a hill and push started it. They might have had a problem with the people who live in the house they spray painted.... or it might have been random. The criminal masterminds that they are... they broke into the school on a weekend.

But I'm friends on facebook with my neighbor, and she does post when they are going on vacation and where they eat and when they're headed back. I wonder if they notice that's the only time our yard gets mowed (with their mower, of course?)

I'm kidding, btw!

But it is pretty obvious they're gone for at least a weekend, because their giant RV is gone. Don't need the internet to stalk someone. Yes, I've read too many books (the kind where the crook is the "good guy") so I say things that make people look at me funny. Like, "Oh, if I wanted to steal your stuff, I'd watch your house for at least a week so I know your schedule. Once I knew you were out of the house, I'd call your house first, to make sure that you're not home. I'd bring a female dog that's in heat to distract that doberman. I'd use the key that you keep under the plant by the porch and just let myself in and leave the door open. I'd take what I wanted then walk back out. I would leave your door unlocked and put the key back under the pot. You can keep the bitch." So it'd really have to be worth my trouble!!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:47 AM

I think you should edit your profile. this is easily done. Kinda scares me a little bit too. I had something simular happen to me only I was just sitting at my computer when I received an instant message from someone I didn't know who was. Thinking it might be someone that I knew only a user name for, I answered it. It was some gal who wanted to "have a little fun" with a web cam. YIKES!!!!!! I blocked it fast and furious!
Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I hate to give bad news, but there is enough public information on the internet to give anyone your address and phone number whether you post the information on Craigslist or Facebook or here. If you want to check, just put your own name into Google and see what happens! That doesn't mean you shouldn't take precautions about your identity (social security number, when you're going to be away from home, etc), but you can't erase the information that is already out there. There are entire search engines that store old information and then can recall it years later even if you've "removed" it from the original site.

I just don't want people to have unrealistic expectations in today's world. Whether we like it or not, much of our lives are lived in the open

Pam
This is true. I googled myself recently and found the names of my family members, current address, old address, etc. You can google your address and even see a picture of your home. I think that is just WAY too much information to be accessed so freely.