Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   scissor for rag quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissor-rag-quilting-t229337.html)

willferg 09-03-2013 06:07 AM

I don't mean to come across like a wet blanket, but I found even with spring-loaded scissors, snipping a raggedy quilt is worky. Give your hands lots of rests!

BellaBoo 09-03-2013 06:08 AM

I have tried every brand and the Heritage Rag Scissors are all I want to use for snipping rag quilts. Now I have the Go rag die and don't snip at all. I make a lot of rag quilt blocks from my larger scraps of fabric. I have a bin full of ready to sew rag squares and can sew a scrap rag quilt in not time.

mike'sgirl 09-03-2013 06:54 AM

I think I'm convinced to get the Heritage snips. Now to find the best deal :) Thanks everyone!!

Christilynn 09-03-2013 10:08 AM

I bought the Fons & Porter rag quilt scissors at JoAnne's and absolutely love them. Have made 10 rag quilts over the last year and those scissors have been a lifesaver! They cut through 6-8 layers of fabric like butter. They're a little pricey but not bad w/40% or better coupon.

SherriB 09-03-2013 12:56 PM

Amazon has them for $27.55 and free shipping if you are a Prime member. Joann's online has them for $29.39, online only according to their website. I bought mine from J Hittle.com(?) a few years ago and paid over $40 for them. But worth ever penny.

Pam B 09-03-2013 02:05 PM

I have the Heritage rag snips! They are wonderful! I don't think you would ever regret the money you spend on them.

Quercus Rubra 09-03-2013 04:33 PM

I have made several of these type quilts and I didn't use scissors at all after accidentally cutting several seams .... instead I used nice Sharp, Comfortable & Long handle SEAMRIPPERS! I have a lot of problems in my hands and this was the best solution that I went several items before finding out the seamrippers worked best. Just my thougths on the subject.

Tricia

running1 09-03-2013 06:04 PM

I bought mine at Hobby Lobby (with a coupon) and that make a HUGE difference!!! I can't imagine making a rag quilt without them...

GrannieAnnie 09-03-2013 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 6270526)
I am in the process of making my first rag quilt as a baby blanket for a friend's dd, who is expecting. The scissor I am using, while it works, is quite painful for my very arthritic hands. I have looked at different scissors to do this job and I like the looks of the Heritage rag snips. What are your experiences with different snips and which do you prefer? Thanks for your input. Gina

Fiskars has a rag snip scissors. It's got the springy thing that opens the scissors for the next snip and the blades are just long enough for the snip. A bit of $20 I think.

GrannieAnnie 09-03-2013 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 6272085)
Amazon has them for $27.55 and free shipping if you are a Prime member. Joann's online has them for $29.39, online only according to their website. I bought mine from J Hittle.com(?) a few years ago and paid over $40 for them. But worth ever penny.

I saw the Fiskars at my JoAnns just days ago. For got the price.