Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors or rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-rotary-cutter-t84731.html)

mim 12-23-2010 05:03 PM

I looked at Harbor freight and couldn't locate the blades -- how are they listed??

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by hannajo
Since we're on this topic, do you have to buy blades that are the same brand as your handle? Or can you mix & match?

I use Harbor Freight or Olfa blades in all my cutters.

wanderingcreek 12-23-2010 05:04 PM

Rotary cutter for me too.

dunster 12-23-2010 05:07 PM

I almost never use scissors except for clipping threads.

Momof3Es 12-23-2010 05:07 PM

I wanted to cut some fabric the other day with scissors because I couldn't find a new blade. But I was afraid that the size would be off if I used it with my ruler...I just said skip it until I found the new blades! My kids want to use my cutter..6, 4 & 3??? I don't like them having scissors so I don't think that's gonna happen any time soon.

dphelps 12-23-2010 05:09 PM

I use both but for cutting strips, I had better use the rotary cutter. I am still trying to cut an entire length straight and I have been sewing for over 45 years.

lab fairy 12-23-2010 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by mim
I looked at Harbor freight and couldn't locate the blades -- how are they listed??

Originally Posted by featherweight

Originally Posted by hannajo
Since we're on this topic, do you have to buy blades that are the same brand as your handle? Or can you mix & match?

I use Harbor Freight or Olfa blades in all my cutters.

When I went to Harbor Freight I found the blades with the carpet cutters. Try looking for carpet cutting replacement blades.

smitty 12-23-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?

they are all about the same. there is an ergonomic one out that would bear inspection if I were buying a new one. I use the 60mm the most. get one that the blade retracts when you quit cutting !! I think you need both the 45mm & 60mm. don't try the tiny one because you think it easier--it isn't.
not for cutting pieces, strips, etc. they are such a timesaver & give accurate, smooth cuts. practice on scraps or muslin until you are at ease with it. don't rush your cut.

smitty 12-23-2010 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Flour Sack Mama
I still have scissors. If I decide to invest in a rotary cutter, do I need to be concerned about the brand to get a certain quality?

they are all about the same. there is an ergonomic one out that would bear inspection if I were buying a new one. I use the 60mm the most. get one that the blade retracts when you quit cutting !! I think you need both the 45mm & 60mm. don't try the tiny one because you think it easier--it isn't.
not for cutting pieces, strips, etc. they are such a timesaver & give accurate, smooth cuts. practice on scraps or muslin until you are at ease with it. don't rush your cut.

Short an Sweet 12-23-2010 05:52 PM

I just discovered the Pinking blade, love it

Sadheart 12-23-2010 05:55 PM

Definitely rotary cutter for most projects. They scissors are the trimming tool now. Unless I am away from home with small projects then it is scissors.