Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors or rotary cutter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-rotary-cutter-t84731.html)

running1 12-24-2010 05:41 AM

Actually, there is an acrylic template called Crazy Curves (or something like that) that I've used to cut curves with the rotary cutter! It comes in several sizes... pretty nifty!

I use my scissors to cut thread, mostly.

Originally Posted by nativetexan
rotary cutter. unless i must trace templates, like drunkard's path that need to be cut with scissors.

psquared52 12-24-2010 06:00 AM

Rotary cutter! Finally broke down and bought the kind that closes automatically when you release the grip. A bit more expensive so use a coupon. I have never cut myself on a rotary cutter and it's certainly not due to being the neatest or most organized person.

Scakes 12-24-2010 06:39 AM

Rotary cutter for me too. I use the ergonomic one from Martelli and love it.

gmaybee 12-24-2010 06:42 AM

Rotary cutter for quilting, scissors for cutting clothing.

lynmccoy 12-24-2010 06:47 AM

If I'm cutting quilt pieces that are curved or round,then I use my scissors. The rest of the time I use my rotary cutter. I tried to use my rotary cutter to cut dresden pieces and pretty much massacured the fabric and came close to cutting a finger off. So I decided to stick to what I know what I can do and save my hands and some fabric.

Connie in CO 12-24-2010 06:49 AM

Rotery cutters :thumbup: :thumbup:

sherriequilts 12-24-2010 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
rotary cutter. unless i must trace templates, like drunkard's path that need to be cut with scissors.

If you have the smallest rotary cutter, you can cut curves for drunkard's path and snail trails. I have used it quite successfully for curves in 3 inch squares. All the best and give it a try.

sherriequilts 12-24-2010 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by hannajo
Since we're on this topic, do you have to buy blades that are the same brand as your handle? Or can you mix & match?

Go to Harbor Freight and get carpet blades. So much cheaper and work just fine.

lynmccoy 12-24-2010 07:01 AM

I have a Olfa rotary cutter and I use different brand blades in it. I don't think it makes a difference.I have found that it I buy an off brand that the blade either doesn't last very long or isn't very sharp right from the start. So buy a good brand,but it shouldn't have to be the same as your rotary cutter.

sherriequilts 12-24-2010 07:01 AM

A tip to help with accuracy using rotary cutters:
I have my cutting table against wall and square up my ruler with the wall. Then I adjust the fabric beneath the ruler. When I cut I push the ruler against the wall and it doesn't move. I have found that otherwise it seems to move just when I am almost to the end of the cut, making my cut off just a bit. I need all the help I can get!!! and this works for me. LOL.