Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrap quilt hangup... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrap-quilt-hangup-t116262.html)

Ally 04-17-2011 08:54 AM

The last two quilts I made were scrap quilts. One was a sampler and the other Aunt Sukey's choice. All I did as try to keep each individual block coordinated (shades of blue or green, etc). Then when everything is put together things just seem to fall in place.

MadQuilter 04-17-2011 09:23 AM

I try not to have the same fabric next to each other and I try not to overwhelm one area with the same value/color. Still happens from time to time and I don't fret about it. Some quilts have a mind of their own. Once finished, each top has its own charm and I leave well enough alone. Too many other projects to tackle.

DeniseP 04-17-2011 09:23 AM

That is just the way you scrap quilt. I also don't want the same fabric in one square or (heaven forbid!) next to each other. I know that I'm fussy and I can live with it.

travelingquilter 04-17-2011 03:17 PM

I will cut out a lot of pieces, alll the same size....decide which ones I want in a particular quilt, then arrange them on my extra bed (sothey can be left there).....then if i get 2 of the same print next to each other, or all my yellows in 1 corner, i can rearrange them, i hate it when all my reds are in 1 spot! . i did one with all fall colors that turned out so pretty, then another with red, white and blue patriotic theme.

zoeytoo 04-17-2011 11:02 PM

First time thinking about scrappy was yesterday when I bought a package of about 200- 2 inch squares and decided to throw them in the washer with the fat quarters I'd bought. Guess what! out of the washer came 200 oddly folded or lumps of 2 inch fabric which I finger pressed and sorted by color until 2 am last night. Next time I will use them and then wash the already made piece. I was fortunate to get the squares, 8 quilt videos and 5 nice books for $5 from a "pre-loved" items table at the quilt show, so I could buy "will be loved" new items from vendors. Is there an easy way to iron the finger pressed slightly lumpy little squares? I'm thinking lay them on the ironing board and stamp, stamp, stamp. Your ideas about scrappy placement is a big help to me. Thanks. Zoeytoo

KPALM 04-18-2011 03:57 PM

My few quilts are all scrappy. In the 80's my future son's mother took me to my first quilt shop. "How do you decide what to buy?" "You buy what you like." I like blues and greens so I bought a yard of fabric that day.. And have been buying small amounts --a yard, fat quarters- -- of blues and greens ever since, to the tune of about 200 fabrics by now. In 1995 I made a logcabin of my light/dark blues and greens with some lavender thrown in. From there I went to an offset logcabin, a Turning twenty (one), a Scrapathon and, HST's in a diamond pattern. Then a Turning Tweny (two).. Yes, they are scrappy but scrappy with a color theme. Do I 'select' pieces? Only in the sense that two very darks or very lights don't go side by side. I love being able to buy small cuts of several fabrics--That way I don't have to make decisions then and there. I'll never do a true scrap quilt with all colors as I have very little outside the blue green lavender. I am going to splash a bit of orange in the next quilt..

jimsjunque 04-18-2011 04:48 PM

I bought a really large box of someone's old vintage scrap fabrics once at the flea market. The material was lovely; but did have a slight smell to it. Boy was I ever ready to start in on that box! I threw the whole load in my washing machine. This wasn't a gentile front loader like I have today. She twisted and turned that fabric every which way; AND THEN BACK AGAIN ONCE MORE FOR GOOD MEASURE.When the machine was done washing I removed the load to the drier. Couldn't hardly wait for it to finish. Opened the drier when the buzzer went off.I was ready! OH MY!!!!!!! I HAD THE BIGGEST BALL OF FUZZ ,AND STRINGS. One of my quilting experiences I hope I never forget and can always laugh at when I see scraps.

luckylindy333 04-18-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Fabrics that clash *make* a scrappy quilt!!! When fabrics clash they vibrate against each other and make a quilt very vibrant. You need some good ugly fabrics that will "lay back" and some pretty fabrics that will "come forward" and some that clash to give it vibrancy.

what a great way of looking at this! I love scrappy quilts- that is about all I ever make, but I am always worried about two fabrics that are the same touching each other...

iltoaz 04-25-2011 07:57 AM

I like the "sorting" of lights in one bag and darks in another. That would help me as I guess I am a controlled scrappy person.

biscuitqueen 05-04-2011 05:16 PM

one thing you can try is light and dark fabrics. 1 lite 1 dark and sew on.