Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap quilt hangup...

When making a scrap quilt, do you just randomly select pieces and put them together? I have a terrible hangup with this. I'm always worried that I will get two of the same material together or that the colors will clash. It seems I spend more time "arranging" my scrap quilt than actually starting it. As a result I put it aside and haven't touched it in years. Is this a common problem with newbie scrap quilters or is it just my own hangup. What do most people do?

I was told I was "scrappy Retarted" I know it's not a correct term but that was what she called me. I'm a controlled scrappy person. I put all the scraps in a bag and close my eyes... if i don't like it I just put it back in and go again.

Yes I think we all "arrange" our scraps to a certain point. It is not a problem. If you don't like what came out of the bag then go back for another.

I am not experienced in this, but I am making a scrap quilt right now. I put strips together that match in size. I look at it and if the color goes with what I have, I stitch it together.

Blog Entries
    I'm a scrappy quilter, I have found that I like a quilt that has a lot of the main fabric (muslin, white on white, etc) I also will choose a color or two and use it more often then the others (like blue and yellow). All the other colors will work and I go for it. If this is just not your bag....do the quilts that you like to do. I enjoy looking at art quilts but have no desire to do one. What ever you choose~enjoy the process:)

Blog Entries
    the only sorting i usually do is sorting light from dark- 2 bags- then i can alternate light and dark as i put pieces together- and when it's done you would be amazed how those fabrics that you would never put together work quite well together.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    the only sorting i usually do is sorting light from dark- 2 bags- then i can alternate light and dark as i put pieces together- and when it's done you would be amazed how those fabrics that you would never put together work quite well together.
    that's how I do it too

Fabrics that clash *make* a scrappy quilt!!! When fabrics clash they vibrate against each other and make a quilt very vibrant. You need some good ugly fabrics that will "lay back" and some pretty fabrics that will "come forward" and some that clash to give it vibrancy.

I'm in the category of those who are trying to break through the wall and jsut do it. I've got a couple "scrappy" quilts started and maybe after reading these posts I'll actually be able to finish one of them!

I've heard it called "controlled scrappy" -- when you adjust the choices. I can't just leave things to random, I have to tweak! I do, however, make an effort to trust the fabric and let things go together -- sometimes I am pleasantly surprised!

Go to this posting I noticed it right after reading yours so I hit the back button. She has regular blocks but between she has a scrappy sashing. It might be a good first effort if you don't want to do totally random. the posting it titled

QuiltSage Avatar

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114813-1.htm

It is the avatar for QuiltSage.

Power Poster
    I am working on a scrap Spiderweb quilt top. I must admit I have a hard time just grabbing a scrap and sewing it on. I tend to want to match a little with the one next to it. I like ckcowl's idea of separating the lights and darks, perhaps that idea will free me from being a "matchaholic". :-D

It took me a bit of courage to just sew and not think about the fabrics.. But the results can be quite wonderful.
    I will admit that I collect my scraps and put them into bins, bases on colors and type , blues , browns, batiks and non-batiks etc. And tend to work through a bin at a time, maybe trowing in a few handfuls from other bins to give some extra ..interest. If you look closely at the scrappy quilts you like you will find the reason you like them.. jewel tones, equal amounts of light an dark..etc ... each person has their own taste , you can have it work for you in a scrappy, just do a bit of prethink ... then just do it ! Give one a try !
    One tip .. smaller pieces of fabric allow the colors to visually blend together. I don't do scrappy with anything wider than 1 3/4 inch .. and prefer 1 1/2 inch.
    Log Cabins are a great first step in scrappy! Just have a bag of light and a seperate bag of dark.

Quote Originally Posted by gollytwo
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    that's how I do it too
    thats a wonderful idea........

Someone said "Scrappy Retarted". That would be me. (As long as the fabrics are of the same quality.

Blog Entries
    It is hard to let go of the control LOL Some patterns are easier for me to go totally scrappy than others :D:D:D

I think if you using a dark colored sashing between the scrap blocks, it will help bring the whole quilt together. I'm working on two right now....and (after looking at many people's quilts here), decided to try using bold colors--one with red and one with a bright blue...It really does make a difference.

The soft, muted colors (for sashing) don't give the definition to the blocks as well as the brighter colors. I've got SO MANY scraps that I'm going crazy trying to use them up--or at least under control.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped on Scotch
    I was told I was "scrappy Retarted" I know it's not a correct term but that was what she called me. I'm a controlled scrappy person. I put all the scraps in a bag and close my eyes... if i don't like it I just put it back in and go again.
    Well then I must be "scrappy retarded" too.LOL! That is exactly the way I do my scrap quilts. We like to keep the old time tradition of scrappy quilting :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by kwhite
    Yes I think we all "arrange" our scraps to a certain point. It is not a problem. If you don't like what came out of the bag then go back for another.
    Ditto.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    What pattern are you using? Some quilters just aren't cut out to be scrappy - it takes guts. The whole point of a scrap quilt is that has no reasoning. But if you can't do it, try a controlled scrappy quilt - using the same neutral, for example, or using every-other scrap the same color.

Been there, done that. I just grab squares from a pile, trying to get one light then one dark and sew them together. If two end up side by side, so what? It will make someone smile and say,Oh look, she made a mistake,ha ha. We make and tie scrappy quilts for charity and no one has returned any because there were two alike side by side. Have fun, let your hair down and sew away. I love all the different colors, designs and fabrics, we make them to get things done. When sewing for charity, quantity is more important than matching squares. You won't win any prizes but someone will be grateful for a warm quilt of many colors.

Carol J.

I'm not fond of "scrappy" that's totally random. But I did manage to give some order to this one by using the large triangles. Some parts of it I like and some I don't like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's what I had to do too, for the first few scrappies. After a while, it gets easier. There are those who control the colors used or print, or theme. It's totally your choice and they all turn out just great!

That's what I had to do too, for the first few scrappies. After a while, it gets easier. There are those who control the colors used or print, or theme. It's totally your choice and they all turn out just great!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I also have never been able to made a scrappy...but am FINALLY starting my first one! Batiks are my favorite fabrics, so thought if I used them, it would be easier on me. I am FORCING myself NOT to match! I am even using scrappy pieces for the light background, and constantly am questioning whether that was the right choice. :roll:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-115337-1.htm

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast