Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy binding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-binding-t316971.html)

SusieQOH 12-02-2021 04:58 PM

Scrappy binding

Hey everyone,
I'm one of those who doesn't like scraps. I just don't have the patience for them I guess. However, I've been making scrappy bindings and I really love the look! On the right quilt it's really pretty and fun.
Does anyone else make scrappy bindings? I'm positive I didn't invent it. haha

dunster 12-02-2021 05:41 PM

Yes, I've done a lot of them, usually (but not always) on scrappy quilts. When I have extra binding after making a quilt, it gets saved and used later for a scrappy binding.

cashs_mom 12-02-2021 05:58 PM

I"ve done pieced and srappy bindings on a lot of jackets I've made. I was thinking the other day of using a pieced binding on a quilt that I'm finishing up now. I really like the interesting look of it.

Stitchnripper 12-02-2021 07:02 PM

I love a scrappy binding. I have a box of pieces left Over from non scrappy bindings and use them for the right quilt.

Synnove 12-02-2021 07:09 PM

Scrappy bindings

I do scrappy bindings more often than not. As others have said, it uses up leftover binding from past quilts, and I love the look. I'd rather do this kind of finishing than making it all of one fabric.

Gemm 12-02-2021 09:55 PM

I am another fan of scrappy bindings (and scrappy quilts). I just made a quilt that was all from one fabric collection and was worried about using a pieced binding, but it was perfect there as well. I do not (as yet) join my strips on an angle as I understand one "should" do - I just lay them end to end and so far it's worked really well. :-)

PurplePansies 12-03-2021 03:26 AM

I do as others have said -- I make extra bias binding for each quilt and then piece it together to bind scrappy quilts.

toverly 12-03-2021 03:41 AM

Love scrappy bindings. Especially on my batik quilts.

Lena1952 12-03-2021 04:01 AM

I really like scrappy bindings. But I also love scrappy quilts! Guess that makes me a scrappy kind of girl. LOL

Iceblossom 12-03-2021 04:52 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I look at bindings as the last place to add fabric to my project. I typically cut my bindings a bit wider than most, generally at 3" but I've gone up from there.

There are many ways of doing a scrappy binding -- even making it a design element. I just finished making one for my Bonnie Hunter project, these were cut quite wide because I might decide to use a 1/2" seam allowance with all those seams. In this technique I use long strips (these are jellyroll sized, 2.5). Off set them a bit while sewing and cut on the diagonal.

The last shot shows a Christmas top ready for quilting. In that one I did the same technique but alternating just the red and green.

edit/PS: (if in time) this is the sort of thing that happens when I either have too much time or fabric on my hands!