Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   scrappy quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilt-t231486.html)

mosher92 10-01-2013 12:34 AM

scrappy quilt

I am working on a very scrappy quilt and i was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to get different scraps. The pieces I use are from four inches long down to one " and can be as small as one inch thick. To go to the fabric shop you have to buy 1/4 inch cuts and that just seems very expensive. I have a lot of scraps but would like to use different fabrics than what I have. Any help would be appreciated.

DOTTYMO 10-01-2013 12:38 AM

Try the Internet. I saw a lovely quilt on here with shades of colours it was my type of scrappy planned.
If I find the thread will let you know because the quilter had purchased bags of scraps.

quiltingfan 10-01-2013 12:59 AM

look on Ebay. Are you looking for certain size? or post here on the forum, there is a place to do that sort of thing. Good luck

tessagin 10-01-2013 01:06 AM

Keep your eye out for estate sales and yard sales. Especially for big and tall clothes. If you check around for different tailors or those who do alterations call and ask if they have any scraps. Ask friends for clothes they might want to donate if you can go through them first. Look through your own closet.

Cottontop 10-01-2013 02:03 AM

You said you want to use "different fabrics"? Describe please and send pm w/your address. I can share.

ckcowl 10-01-2013 02:08 AM

check the classifieds & free offers here on the board- often members are passing along-sharing scraps for just the cost of postage. also, check the local guild- members often have scraps to share- one of our local quilt shops always have a large basket of scraps and quart size ziplocks- you can stuff a ziplock as full as you can get it and still zip it closed for $5- they generate a lot of scraps from doing store displays and like the rest of us can be over run by them if they didn't decide to (share). :) you could check with your lqs & mention that some shops do this instead of throwing them away.

charsuewilson 10-01-2013 02:11 AM

Participate in an exchange. Buy 5" squares. Some quilt shops sell scraps. One is flynnquilts.com . Ask anyone using an Accuquilt for cutting.

dakotamaid 10-01-2013 03:09 AM

PM me with your requirements. I have lots of scraps. :)

Barb in Louisiana 10-01-2013 03:31 AM

Locally, Joanns, Hancocks, WalMart & Hobby Lobby all sell by the inch. Our WalMart & Hancocks have end of bolt sale bins. The only problem is that they don't always label these fabrics as to content.

Joanns almost always have their brand quilting cottons on sale for 30% off. If it was originally 8.99, 30% off is $6.30 per yard, $0.175 per inch. Not sure how they charge when it gets to rounding.

I love scrappy quilts & look forward to seeing yours.

misspriss 10-01-2013 03:57 AM

Check the re-sale shops, Goodwill, Salvation Army and more, look at the shirts and blouses, bed skirts have yards of material in them. Even cotton kitchen curtains sometimes lend to a theme, pillow shams, have fun with children's clothes, they have cute prints and even embroidery that can be cut out and sewn to something else.