Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilts-love-them-hate-them-t206280.html)

purplefiend 11-19-2012 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kwilty Kahy,
Stop trying to match everything! Just go by value, aka lights and darks, it works lots better.
I love making scrap quilts, they're fun! Here's one of my scrappy quilts. This one is "Crayon Box" by Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com Its all flannel except for the binding, even the backing fabric is flannel.
Sharon

thepolyparrot 11-19-2012 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This quilt has over 140 different fabrics in it - about 40 different light backgrounds and about 40 different reds.

I love, love, LOVE scrappy! :)

penski 11-19-2012 10:18 PM

i lpve making scrappy quilts !! the first few srappys i made i matched my colors but now i just pick them at random ( it took awhile for me to be able to do this) now i enjoy making them

TeresaS 11-19-2012 10:34 PM

I am not a fan..

JustAbitCrazy 11-19-2012 11:35 PM

I LOVE scrappy quilts! I tend to make all my quilts "scrappy" (from many different fabrics), no matter what the pattern calls for. I do prefer controlled scrappy, though, like Polyparrot's. I like many different fabrics in a controlled color plan. But the occasional misplaced color or opposite values in a block are welcome, too, because that sometimes gives a quilt the little zing it needs.

Polyparrot, that quilt is GORGEOUS!

Coreyquilter 11-20-2012 06:04 AM

Jane, I love your quilts & your ideas.
Corey

gramarraine 11-20-2012 07:03 AM

I love the look of other people's scrappy quilts but when I try to make one I am like others I go crazy trying to keep like colors away from each other. I think I am a controlled scrappy quilter also.

Scraplady 11-20-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5667175)
Good Grief!! I think I would probably have put the DIL away and kept the quilt out to enjoy!

To me, 'scrappy' refers to the random arrangement of fabrics, not the number or source of those fabrics. It's the unplanned, haphazard placement that makes a quilt scrappy.

You can precisely and intentionally arrange pieces of multiple different fabrics previously used in other quilts, technically called scraps, and the result will not be a 'scrappy' quilt. Chances are, such a quilt will not even look scrappy to anyone but the occasional DIL. :)

According to some sources I've read, primarily Judy Martin, scrappies at quilt shows actually ARE qualified as "scrappy" based on the number of fabrics they contain, with minimum requirement varying from show to show. A scrappy quilt does not by any means have to be haphazard or random. They certainly can be and sometimes those are the most fun!

TanyaL 11-20-2012 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Scraplady (Post 5669698)
According to some sources I've read, primarily Judy Martin, scrappies at quilt shows actually ARE qualified as "scrappy" based on the number of fabrics they contain, with minimum requirement varying from show to show. A scrappy quilt does not by any means have to be haphazard or random. They certainly can be and sometimes those are the most fun!

I did not realize that a quilt was classified as "scrappy" totally on the number of fabrics used. This means that many or all of the Baltimore album quilts, Jane Stickle quilts, and the beautiful sampler quilts are all scrappy quilts since they probably have the required number of different fabrics used in their total number of blocks. I thought there was more to the definition than that.

thepolyparrot 11-20-2012 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Scraplady (Post 5669698)
According to some sources I've read, primarily Judy Martin, scrappies at quilt shows actually ARE qualified as "scrappy" based on the number of fabrics they contain, with minimum requirement varying from show to show.

Learn something new every day! I hadn't ever heard that before. :)

I really love postage stamp quilts, especially the 1½" squares that finish at 1" - no two alike. I like them totally random or alternating light and dark. I'm gonna make one - someday! LOL! :D