Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilts, love them or hate them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilts-love-them-hate-them-t206280.html)

joyce888 11-19-2012 05:52 AM

I like scrappy but feel I cannot do one. I see many I really love and think I could do that. Then I see ones I don't like and think that's what mine would look like.

Stitchnripper 11-19-2012 05:54 AM

I love the scrappies, scrappy-likes, and everything in between scrappy related. My favorite.

sewmom 11-19-2012 06:02 AM

I love scrappy and although I haven't actually made that many of them, I find that I am a controlled scrappy kinda quilter. I think that it combines the best of both worlds.

bearisgray 11-19-2012 06:05 AM

To look at - almost anything is appealing.

To make - I think I go in the 'controlled scrappy' category.

damaquilts 11-19-2012 06:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5664987)
For one quilt, put the scraps you will be using into a large paper bag.
Draw from the bag without looking and USE that scrap. No putting it back into the collection; use it right where it was intended to be!
Jan in VA

I like scrappy quilts especially vintage ones. I own a few and made one scrappy of my own with the method Jan is talking about . The only thing different I did was if it was the same fabric I put it back shook the bag and pulled another.
The first is a string top I came across somewhere and ended up tying because it was so crooked but I loved and wanted to use it. The other one is the paper bag method, quilt as you go with the back great big scrappy pieces. Please ignore dog fur LOL

sewingsuz 11-19-2012 06:41 AM

I also love scrappy quilts. I need to get back to that.

sunnymom 11-19-2012 06:43 AM

I love scrappy quilts! :)

Coreyquilter 11-19-2012 06:54 AM

I love quilts, there is a special place for scrappy quilt in my book. I am almost done piecing my spiderweb quilt. It's tedious to make I agree, but I think it's very rewarding, each piece of fabric used reminds me of someone's quilt I made and some yet to make. Kinda like friends, old and new and more to make.

Mariah 11-19-2012 07:02 AM

I love scrappy quilts! Have found I do better with a pattern; Rail Fence and 9 Patch for stripsn are perfect. I just sort and press them, and have fun picking up a strip and utilizing it in the block.
I made a scrap with different colors of blocks,and concentrated on having a family of colors in each block. It turned out well and I love the look of having made something from a sack of scraps instead of taking the scraps to a church here in town. They love the scraps and make the quilts for Missions.
Just love the idea of making "something out of almost nothing."
Mariah...

LindaMRB 11-19-2012 07:06 AM

Never have done a scrappy but I LOVE the way they look.
My concern with the scraps I have is that no way will I get anything cohesive out of it.
They are too varied in shape and color!
I keep shuffling the bag around and never even get started!