Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps and scraps and scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-scraps-scraps-t304917.html)

Battle Axe 05-26-2019 03:52 PM

Scraps and scraps and scraps

My limit on storage has been reached. I have every bag, tub, box and sack full of scraps. Good scraps, and I really don't want to deal with them now that the quilts are made.

What is everyone else doing with these bits and pieces? Everything that was a fat quarter or half a fat quarter has been saved to the tub of it's color.

Marcia aka Battle Axe

cathyvv 05-26-2019 03:56 PM

I give them away to whoever wants them. Some wind up in dog beds, some wind up in quilts. Storage is an issue, for sure, but for me it becomes overwhelming to have a bunch of scraps around.

pocoellie 05-26-2019 04:25 PM

The scraps that I have already cut are in their respective drawers, the scraps that haven't been pressed and cut, are in big black garbage bags. I was doing really good at getting a couple of bags emptied, but now the drawers are Full, and now I need to get busy and get them made into something. LOL The pieces that are too small are put into pillowcases and eventually into pet beds.

sewbizgirl 05-26-2019 04:26 PM

I have so many, I feel like a slave to scrap quilts. I keep making them, thinking I'm using up my scraps, and they just seem to multiply!

I do make a lot of scrap quilts tho. If you take a peek in my profile albums you will see.

QuiltingVagabond 05-26-2019 05:41 PM

Marcia, take them to your Bonnie Hunter class and offer them as free scraps!

Battle Axe 05-26-2019 05:58 PM

Great idea. I'll put them in baggies. There is a place on the way to Bonnie Hunter's class called the ARC. It is a thrift store for a group of disabled adults. If there are any left after Bonnie Hunter's class I'll take them there. Marcia

dunster 05-26-2019 06:25 PM

I just bought an Accuquilt Studio with a bunch of strip dies. The plan is to start turning those scraps into strips and then into quilts. I hope the plan works.

tranum 05-26-2019 06:25 PM

Most scraps go in a paper grocery bag beside my cutting table and when full, I give it to my friend and start a new bag. She’s big into scrap quilts so they go to a good cause and off my back ! I have yet to wish I had kept a scrap.

Libits 05-26-2019 06:40 PM

You could do just what I did in the last 4 days: start of quilt from your stache in an attempt to reduce it, discover you don’t have enough fabric and then buy 4 times more than you need to finish the “scrap” quilt!

jmoore 05-27-2019 02:13 AM

I am getting ready to go through a couple of bins where I have stored bits and pieces (i.e, crumbs and strips). I am going to dump the bins and start fresh because over time, I have used them too many times in scrappy quilts and now I am tired of them so time to move on....I have another bin with larger pieces left from FQs and I will start new with fresh prints and colors.

I agree with SBG, those darn scraps seem to multiply.