Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps and scraps and scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-scraps-scraps-t304917.html)

Battle Axe 05-27-2019 08:04 AM

I have a taker for some scraps. Going upstairs to start to get this project started.

A real gem from Iceblossom: Life too short to be burdened with things I don't want.

I think I am overwhelmed by the scraps. I did not bu y scraps or order them off the internet. They just happened.

And SBG is right: They keep multiplying.

homecaregiver 05-27-2019 08:05 AM

Sharon, I love this quilt and all the beautiful colors. Are you going to handquilt it.

wildyard 05-27-2019 08:44 AM

I am a devoted scrappy quilter and am always ready and willing to take scraps someone doesn't want. I make donation quilts so it helps keep my expenses down. I also love to take orphan blocks and turn them into quilts. I don't have a lot of experience making those improv blocks but am working on that and having fun with it. Scraps that are too small for me to use I put in a bag by my cutting table and when it's full, I donate it to the thrift store that bundles fabrics for recycle.

dorismae904 05-27-2019 08:46 AM

Another way to use up scraps is to make string blocks. You can cut paper squares--phone books make approx. 7 1/2 inch square but I don't like tearing the paper off the back so I use think muslin, usually cut 8 or 8 1/2 inches square. Word of warning--they are addictive.

donna13350 05-27-2019 08:53 AM

I cut a bunch into 1 1/2" strips and make 9 patch blocks...you'd be surprised how alternating them with a solid color block can make a really nice quilt..I just keep them handy and when I need to sew but don't have time to start a project, I whip some blocks out...satisfies my need to sew..then you have nice quilts to give as gifts or donate with very little cost to you...whatever you do..use them..just start..they don't do you any good in a bin!

quilt9226 05-27-2019 09:33 AM

a fall last week decimated my shoulder.no use of right arm for 6 weeks and absolutely no rotary cutting for longer than that. my sisters are going to purge the studio. scraps will be given away. strings recycled and every trip hazard in studio eliminated. i have kits from Craftsy/bluprint that will be dismantled for fabric or given to my quilting friends. the hard work of getting back to normal is coming and i am determined to recover but i will not have the desire to make large and complicated quilts like a king size lone star

Mousie 05-27-2019 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8258310)
I am a scrappy lover and have been working on a couple of scrappy quilts. One is Pam Buda’s 1800 quilt. I have made over 600 9-patches for it (2 1/2”) and will be cutting out the setting pieces later today. The other is Sew Many Strips from BH&G’s last issue. I need to finish the border and attach it so it can get quilted. Here is the picture of it.

wow, love that and such freshness with the border design.

Onebyone 05-27-2019 09:39 AM

I don't save scraps. I have a big bin under my cutting table and when it gets full I take it to sew day and by the end of the day it's empty. I never go into the bin looking for a piece of fabric while it's filling up so I know there is no use keeping any to wait for me to maybe use it. If I need scraps I'll cut some. LOL

Mousie 05-27-2019 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach (Post 8258321)
Battle, you sound like an organizer! So, since you have your scraps sorted by color here is an idea. It works for me any way. I choose a color that pleases me at the moment and make a quilt top that uses just that color way with a background that I already have on hand. When I do this, I can see that bag, box or bin of that color shrink. Not a solution to the scrap abundance but it helps. Below is an example of one of my one color way quilts. I have another ready for quilting but not ready for a photo. This pattern is from the QB - Mystery Train Quilt #18. Lots of green scraps, lots of neutral scraps and one color for pop. All fabric even the back was from my scraps and stash. Quick, easy and top finished in a week-end. PM me if you can't locate the pattern. I have it book marked.[ATTACH=CONFIG]613307[/ATTACH]

I love greens and it's super special that your kitties eyes are green
in that picture! :D

ckcowl 05-27-2019 10:56 AM

When I get tired of making scrap quilts and start feeling like the scraps are taking up too much space I start filling large flat rate priority boxes. There are plenty of people out there who love taking them off my hands for the price of postage. It’s a win-win.