Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps and scraps and scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-scraps-scraps-t304917.html)

RedGarnet222 05-27-2019 10:57 AM

I keep buying scrap quilt patterns to use up mine. All I have accomplished is now I have too many patterns too. LOL!

lberna 05-27-2019 10:59 AM

Every time I decide to make a scrappy quilt with the sole intention of using up my scraps, I always feel the need to buy 4 or 5 additional fabrics. Now, more scraps. I’m not making any progress. It’s an addiction.

Schill93 05-27-2019 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 8258310)
I am a scrappy lover and have been working on a couple of scrappy quilts. One is Pam Buda’s 1800 quilt. I have made over 600 9-patches for it (2 1/2”) and will be cutting out the setting pieces later today. The other is Sew Many Strips from BH&G’s last issue. I need to finish the border and attach it so it can get quilted. Here is the picture of it.

This is a Beautiful quilt luvstoquilt. I want to make one like this one day for myself. Looking at your picture, it doesn't look like 2 1/2" squares used in the center colored squares. They look more elongated. What size are they? Nice work.

RuthiesRetreat3 05-27-2019 01:17 PM

There are people who like to make postage stamp quilts and would love to have your scraps. (Not me, I don't have the patience). But offer for free on this site and I'm sure you'll get takers.

dotcomdtcm 05-27-2019 01:30 PM

Consider giving scraps to your local schools and afterschool programs. I am a retired art teacher. Scraps are valuable
for many art projects!!

dunster 05-27-2019 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222 (Post 8258564)
I keep buying scrap quilt patterns to use up mine. All I have accomplished is now I have too many patterns too. LOL!

LOL! So true!

Battle Axe 05-27-2019 03:23 PM

I think if I vacuum pack it I can get more in. Half these things I don't recognize. Getting a thunder storm now.

Jingle 05-27-2019 03:32 PM

luvstoquilt that scrappy quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

I am trying to use my scraps up before I get too many. I have been making quilts to use up some floral and purples fabrics. After I quilt the last two I will start on using the scraps.

audsgirl 05-27-2019 09:52 PM

This is beautiful, Sharon! I love the border you are using. Will you be putting it on all 4 sides?

Leslie

WMUTeach 05-28-2019 02:28 AM

We each develop a style that is ours. It sounds like on this tread that some of us are scrappy quilters and others not so much. Both have value and if scraps annoy you then pass them on to those who love scraps. Although I don't plan on leaving this world soon, I also do not want to leave my family with my stash and scraps to care for. Thus, I have organized my scraps and work diligently at creating quilts that use what I have at hand. From time to time have the opportunity to make a quilt from scratch and buy all new fabric and I find it so frustrating that I almost freeze up trying to make choices. So, I guess I have morphed into a scrappy quilter over the years. That is my little place in the sun and I like it.

There are some wonderful suggestions here for putting scraps to good use. Enjoy the freedom of giving them away, selling them or using them. Our abundance can be a blessing to others whether it is in the form of a quilt or a box of fabric that is just more than we want in our life. :o