Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scraps and scraps and scraps (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scraps-scraps-scraps-t304917.html)

lswan 05-28-2019 03:50 AM

I have spent the past month battling mountians of scraps. I do cut into useable sizes like Bonnie Hunter and box by size and color. People give me them because they know I am a scrap quilter.
However, it gets to the point where it is choking me and all I did was sort scraps and get mentally crazy trying to make decisions. That is where the advice to not hang onto what I don't need or is it stopping me from actually sewing and making quilts, which I love, has to be driven home.
At some point you have to say enough and stop being buried. I had a friend go through the boxes and get rid of any uglies (like all that mauve, baby blue prints from the 80s). Then she sorted by color. Then I cut what was easily cut on my Accuquilt or stripology ruler, and got rid of the rest. I can now park my car in the garage and I feel a huge load off my mind. I still have boxes with what is precut sizes by colors that I can pull from.
Don't let the scraps prevent you from what you love to do- life is so short- do you really want to spend your time sorting and being buried with scraps or making quilts?

Aurora 05-28-2019 03:51 AM

I give my small scraps to a friend who does collage projects.

Battle Axe 05-28-2019 05:27 AM

I'm sensing the same conclusion in many of you that have responded. All these scraps can cause paralysis. It's where I am too. I have several takers and I will see how relieved I am after I ship the boxes. Marcia

oksewglad 05-28-2019 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by lswan (Post 8258830)
I have spent the past month battling mountians of scraps. I do cut into useable sizes like Bonnie Hunter and box by size and color. People give me them because they know I am a scrap quilter.
However, it gets to the point where it is choking me and all I did was sort scraps and get mentally crazy trying to make decisions. That is where the advice to not hang onto what I don't need or is it stopping me from actually sewing and making quilts, which I love, has to be driven home.
At some point you have to say enough and stop being buried. I had a friend go through the boxes and get rid of any uglies (like all that mauve, baby blue prints from the 80s). Then she sorted by color. Then I cut what was easily cut on my Accuquilt or stripology ruler, and got rid of the rest. I can now park my car in the garage and I feel a huge load off my mind. I still have boxes with what is precut sizes by colors that I can pull from.
Don't let the scraps prevent you from what you love to do- life is so short- do you really want to spend your time sorting and being buried with scraps or making quilts?

Yes I'm getting to that point and need to cull from the piles too!

SuziSew 05-28-2019 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingVagabond (Post 8258216)
Marcia, take them to your Bonnie Hunter class and offer them as free scraps!

Good idea...but make sure you keep plenty of neutrals, Bonnie's patterns almost always need lots of neutrals!

mindless 05-28-2019 03:30 PM

oooooo
I'm old!
When I first started sewing, almost all quilts were made from scraps.
Swapping scraps with friends was always the best way to get new colors/styles/fabrics.
Now, I can't bear to let them go. And...don't tell anyone....I even collect them.

Hello.
My name is....
Yup... I've become a scrap hoarder.

And yes, I agree....they do multiply!

MaryTG 05-29-2019 08:31 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I’m somewhat in the middle when it comes to scraps. I thought I had a lot, but nowhere near what I hear some of you have. I have made many (as in at least 5) 100x100 string quilts and given all but one away, as my friends seem to like them better than more planned quilts. I also have made several quilts using 1.5”x2.5” rectangles and others with small squares. Here are a few of the scrappy non-string quilts. There is even one crumb quilt here (and I have some further crumb fabric assembled towards another project, as I sew pieces together when I don’t have any particular project in mind or don’t want to have to be too precise).
ETA: I didn’t realize these photos would show up so large!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]613380[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613384[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]613385[/ATTACH]

Mykelb 05-29-2019 08:49 AM

I have 7 bins full of scraps. Need to follow Eleanor's advice and start cutting them up into usable pieces. 2.5" strips, 5 inch squares, 10 inch squares.

Aurora 05-29-2019 10:00 AM

Larger scraps I keep for use in smaller projects. However, I am planning to try my hand at collage projects, so I may start saving my smaller scraps as well. They look like so much fun.

Battle Axe 05-29-2019 10:39 AM

Totally love the sea horses. Marcia