Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam Allowance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-allowance-t31795.html)

Scissor Queen 12-19-2009 02:43 PM

One of the biggest reason 1/4 inch seams are used is the amount of additional fabric it would take over a whole queen size quilt. That extra quarter inch would probably add up to more than a yard of fabric on a queen size quilt.

Ironing seams to one side was done to keep the batting inside. Originally "batting" wasn't really batting. It was just hand fulls of carded cotton laid on the backing. That's also why really old quilts are heavily quilted.

Hand quilted quilts aren't quilted in the ditch as a rule either. They're quilted a quarter of an inch away from the ditch. In the ditch quilting was invented to hide machine quilting. Machine quilting was looked down upon until the last 15 years or so but it's been around for more than 100 years.

MadQuilter 12-19-2009 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by King's Daughter
Because don't you need to stay on the low side of the seam? When you alternate which direction you press, the low side changes from row to row. Unless I'm doing something wrong, which of course never happens!

That just makes it easier. I use alternating seam press for nesting purposes, and I SID. Actually, I have a SID foot that keeps the guide in the ditch - no matter where the seam bulk is. You may just have to go a little slower when your seam line is a little wobbly,

Betty K 12-19-2009 10:27 PM

The most critical reasons for using 1/4" seam allowance is if you have triangular pieces coming together or small pieces like in a stained glass pattern and especially if you're going to hand quilt.

newestnana 12-20-2009 07:26 AM

I am also a relative newbie to quilting...and it took me a while to understand the importance of pressing the seams in the direction given in the instructions (yes, usually to the dark side, but which side is "dark" could vary with your choices of fabric). A few of the above comments mention the "nestling" of seams--so that corners match up--and that is SOOOO much easier when the seams are pressed in the correct (according to instructions) direction. So now I actually read that part of the instructions and am amazed at how much easier it has become to have more precise piecing.

b.zang 12-20-2009 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
One of the biggest reason 1/4 inch seams are used is the amount of additional fabric it would take over a whole queen size quilt. That extra quarter inch would probably add up to more than a yard of fabric on a queen size quilt.

Ironing seams to one side was done to keep the batting inside. Originally "batting" wasn't really batting. It was just hand fulls of carded cotton laid on the backing. That's also why really old quilts are heavily quilted.

Hand quilted quilts aren't quilted in the ditch as a rule either. They're quilted a quarter of an inch away from the ditch. In the ditch quilting was invented to hide machine quilting. Machine quilting was looked down upon until the last 15 years or so but it's been around for more than 100 years.

Hey, a snapshot of quilting history! Thank you - this is interesting.

craftiladi 12-20-2009 08:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ladies thanks so much for this thread of conversation. The seam allowance is one thing I still struggle with.
Lorette thanks for posting the link, I saved it as there is alot of good information on that one.
Re Re I have only met one other person w/ your name, she lives in las vegas.
happy holidays.
dee

Tiffany 12-20-2009 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

I remember reading about a gal who lived in North Dakota in the early 1900s, maybe late 1890s. I don't remember. I just know it was a long time ago. Anyway, she used the wool from her sheep as batting and each summer she would take out all the quilting stitches and recard the wool. :shock: I remember thinking how sad that was, and time consuming! She did it every year without fail. Wow! I'm so glad we've come a long way since then!!!

amma 12-20-2009 12:23 PM

Thank you for the quilting history stories!!! I love reading about what techniques they used long ago, and the materials they used too :D:D:D

Rose Marie 12-21-2009 08:12 AM

I have used several 1/4 inch feet and still my blocks were too small.
I now adjust for scant 1/4 inch and my blocks are now the right size. So it is just a matter of experimenting till it comes out right.
Quilting from the Heartland irons all her seams open. All the others iron to the side. So it is just a matter of choice. If I am doing my own pattern I iron open cause it is easier but I follow the directions in a pattern otherwise.

Scissor Queen 12-21-2009 08:37 AM

[quote=I remember reading about a gal who lived in North Dakota in the early 1900s, maybe late 1890s. I don't remember. I just know it was a long time ago. Anyway, she used the wool from her sheep as batting and each summer she would take out all the quilting stitches and recard the wool. :shock: I remember thinking how sad that was, and time consuming! She did it every year without fail. Wow! I'm so glad we've come a long way since then!!![/quote]

I'll bet she also washed the top and backing and repaired any places that needed it. Back then people didn't wash quilts either. They just aired them out.