Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam Allowance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-allowance-t31795.html)

shaverg 12-21-2009 11:48 AM

If you used the edge of your presser foot for a guide for every piece in your quilt as long as you are consistent it should still be ok. It is just that if you are using a pattern say for a 12" block and you use the side of your foot for a guide the finish project may be a little smaller. I use to always use the edge of my presser foot before I got a 1/4 foot. My original foot was just a thread or two larger than a 1/4 inch foot.

Tiffany 12-21-2009 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I have used several 1/4 inch feet and still my blocks were too small.
I now adjust for scant 1/4 inch and my blocks are now the right size. So it is just a matter of experimenting till it comes out right.
Quilting from the Heartland irons all her seams open. All the others iron to the side. So it is just a matter of choice. If I am doing my own pattern I iron open cause it is easier but I follow the directions in a pattern otherwise.

What type of thread do you use? I find the thicker the thread, the more I need to adjust for a scant quarter inch. I use Aurofil, which is amazing, and I don't need to adjust for the thread, which I like.

craftiladi 12-21-2009 12:31 PM

Great advise Shaverg, I learned that one the hard way.

craftiladi 12-21-2009 12:38 PM

RN ..I so hear ya. 30 some yrs ago when I first started quilting I did it from necessity so I just learned my way and for yrs it has worked but now that I want to quilt from some of the beautiful patterns out there. Having to relearn has been a struggle, but with lots of patient on line friends I am learning.
Happy holidays!!!

JoanneS 12-22-2009 12:53 PM

[quote=Scissor Queen]

Originally Posted by I remember reading about a gal who lived in North Dakota in the early 1900s, maybe late 1890s. I don't remember. I just know it was a long time ago. Anyway, she used the wool from her sheep as batting and each summer she would take out all the quilting stitches and recard the wool. :shock: I remember thinking how sad that was, and time consuming! She did it every year without fail. Wow! I'm so glad we've come a long way since then!!![/quote

I'll bet she also washed the top and backing and repaired any places that needed it. Back then people didn't wash quilts either. They just aired them out.

I inherited a quilt from my mom's mom made with handfulls of wool from their sheep as batting. They homesteaded in northern South Dakota in the very early 1900s. The quiilt is tied. The fabric is squares made from men's pants and shirts. It was never washed, because of the wool in both wool batting and fabric - but it was obviously aired regularly. The only smell is 'wool'.

Rose Marie 12-23-2009 01:14 PM

I use Coats and Clarks better thread. For some reason my machine dosnt like the thick thread as well.