Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To See If Anybody is Interested - US and International Round Robin III (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/see-if-anybody-interested-us-international-round-robin-iii-t54331.html)

Leota 07-25-2010 03:13 PM

I think if you can put the quilts in a plastic bag and suck all the air out of them, they will fit in smaller packaging and then you can use flat rate shipping. I had a wedding gown shipped from China and it was only $10... they marked it as "a gift" to avoid tariffs...illegal because it was a business. I didn't continue doing business with that company because the construction quality was poor and their unethical practices.

sandpat 07-25-2010 03:23 PM

Since Terri is busy...I'll jump in and answer a few questions..

1. Yes...you can participate from UK...we'd LOVE to have you!
2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

I see the list is still growing :shock: :D

tlrnhi 07-25-2010 03:31 PM

Thanks for answering for me Patti.
Anyone, doesn't matter where they live can join.
I'm almost done with tweaking the rules and should have them up tomorrow, I HOPE!
So far we have 77 people that are interested. I'm sure that list will grow once I put the Sign-up list on.

Maybe1day 07-25-2010 03:42 PM

This sounds not only exciting but quite challenging to.
As it isn't set to take place till around September if it goes ahead then
I am interested.

Maybe1day

tlrnhi 07-25-2010 07:23 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT PM ME ANY OF YOUR INFORMATION YET!
I'm not set up for it.
Right now it's JUST to see WHO IS INTERESTED!
Those that will be gone and away from computers until mid August, I have asked for those, but PLEASE, if you aren't going to be gone, DO NOT SEND ME THE INFO YET!

I'm keeping track of everyone that is wanting/showing interest, so PLEASE be patient. Start your centers between 12 and 24 inches square.

sew cornie 07-25-2010 07:26 PM

You can post your picture on the sign-up thread. Hold those horses . . . it's coming soon! LOL.

Originally Posted by M.I.Late
WOW - What are we up to just under 75 Quilters? I'm impressed. How will you group us? I say throw us all in a hat... What an outstanding amount of participation. Terry you have your hands full... We appreciate you handeling this. We're like race horses chompin on the bit ready to get out of the gate. Should we start a separate thread for the center pictures only?

cbridges22 07-25-2010 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat

2. Your center can be rectangular...it can be any size up to 24" (finished) either or both ways. Just keep in mind that the 1st round will be 3"...so if you make it a dimension that is divisable by 3, it will make it easier to work with...other than that....get creative!
3. Generally when shipping international you can use the flat rate envelopes for the 1st couple of rounds, then you end up having to use the med. size flat rate box or the flimsy regular priority envelope due to the size. It usually runs around 20-25 bucks to ship near the end not including insurance.

Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

sew cornie 07-25-2010 07:57 PM

IRR II, which is finishing up right now, had 5 rounds of borders, each with a predetermined size: 3", 5", 6", 7", 8". Take the dimensions of your center and add the border dimensions to get your final quilt size. For example, my IRR II center was 24" square. It's final size will be 82" square. For IRR III, my center will be 15" square, equaling a finished size of 73" square (if the border sizes are as those mentioned above).

Originally Posted by cbridges22

Originally Posted by sandpat

Since I have never done this could you tell me what you mean by the first round is 3"?Is each round given a specific size and if so how large does the top end up being?

tlrnhi 07-25-2010 08:03 PM

Thanks Sew Cornie!!

cbridges22 07-25-2010 08:13 PM

Thank you so much from one Oregonian to another.