Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seeking Suggestions for Quilting a Log Cabin Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seeking-suggestions-quilting-log-cabin-quilt-t165672.html)

sew_it_up 11-03-2011 12:03 PM

Seeking Suggestions for Quilting a Log Cabin Quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I have almost completed a log cabin quilt for my daughter for Christmas and I am having problems deciding how to quilt it. It would be machine quilting - I have no patience for hand-quilting large items. Here is a picture of the part of the top completed in September. I do not really want to stitch-in-the-ditch but can not decide what to do. Note: It is NOT pink, it is a dark, almost maroon, red.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 11-03-2011 04:06 PM

What about in the maroom and green strips, on the diagonal (to me appears like a zig zag) make a running holly leaf with ribbons, berries and swirls throughout the quilt and in the center do a poinsetta flower.

MacThayer 11-03-2011 04:49 PM

I know you don't want to hear this, but I'm going to write it anyway. I just finished doing a SITD on a log cabin quilt I'd just finished. Didn't really want to do it because each log had 21 strips of fabric. Did it anyway. Yes, it took a long time and was boring. But the results were fantastic! It made each log cabin stand out in a way that I couldn't have achieved any other way. The log cabins look almost 3-dimensional! It's an awesome look, and I've had so many positive comments that I'm glad I took the time to do it that way. So there's my opinion, for what it's worth. Feel free to ignore.

alikat110 11-03-2011 04:59 PM

Love it.....not sure how I would quilt it, thou!!!

sewbeadit 11-03-2011 11:56 PM

It is beautiful!

wuv2quilt 11-04-2011 02:44 AM

Pretty quilt, but I have no idea on the quilting :thumbup:

Selena 11-04-2011 04:56 AM

How about a meandering feather on the red part, curls on the green and a simple flower starting at the corner of the yellow/white block like a fan shape?

EagarBeez 11-04-2011 05:57 AM

It's a very pretty quilt, I have no idea about the quilting, but, gold, green thread would be good colors to use

Fixedgearhead 11-04-2011 06:12 AM

Being as how I only SITD, that would be my suggestion. I have done many Log Cabins of various types, and I find the the
puffing of the log is the exact look I enjoy for that pattern. It is only possible with SITD as any quilting within the log would compress the puff factor. Now if that is something you would like to see then by all means go for it, but the distinct logs of
the Log Cabin pattern are somehow emblematic, at least for me.
John
PS. Not sure about the new format for the Board. I probably will get used to it.

ns 11-04-2011 06:30 AM

I just had a log cabin quilted, and she did a magnolia pattern on it. It turned out beautiful. Or you could do large puzzle pieces on it. That looks really nice also.