Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Selling a quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/selling-quilt-t147929.html)

SWEETPEACHES 08-25-2011 06:58 PM

I've made many quilts. I've given away most. I sent one to my aunt recently and she is insisting on paying me for it. AND she wants to take it to work and show it off. What if someone at her work wants one?

I have no idea how to go about setting a price. After the cost of fabric and paying the LAQ, how much should I add on top?

Ideas? (I'm talking basically simple quilts, like log cabin or strip quilts or a friendship block) Nothing intricate like I've see you ladies do.

Airwick156 08-25-2011 07:00 PM

Someone will come by and tell you. I am going to watch this topic. Good Luck. I also give all mine away. LOL

irishrose 08-25-2011 07:04 PM

Nothing less than double the price of everything that goes into the quilt and even then you're giving away a lot of hours of work.

ljsunflower 08-25-2011 07:13 PM

It depends on whether you need to make some money or you would just like to sell some to get back the money it cost you to make. Also the area where you are could have high unemployment, businesses closing down, people not making the wages they used to. If it's a depressed area, you may not be able to get double what you've got in it.

Maride 08-25-2011 07:13 PM

This is a hard one because she is a family member and you made the quilt without the intention of getting paid for it.

If it was someone you don't know asking for a quilt, it is easy. It depends if you want to make the quilt for sale or not. Many people enjoy just making them to give away. Once you start taking orders it can become a chore. This is under your control. If I don't want to make the quilt I ask for a lot of money. Usually I don't hear from them again.

I prefer to make a quilt I like and then sell it. When they start asking for particular colors the headache begins. If I decide to make the quilt I make them buy the fabric and the pattern (or at least select the pattern) so there is no possibility of confusion or the colors not being the right shade, tone or value. I am also very clear about the size. I explain that I then have to charge for hours of work, and I don't sell myself short.

jaciqltznok 08-25-2011 07:17 PM

I have an elderly lady friend that is having a "living" estate sale. She is selling her home and moving into a retirement apartment.
She has 4 tops she wants to sell...one is from keepsake quilting, it is the falling leaves one..it cost over $100 for that kit back in 2000...they lady doing the estate sale told her she would be lucky to get $25 for it!!!

making to sell is road not worth going down...especially in todays market...people just don't understand what it costs to make a quilt.

nativetexan 08-25-2011 07:30 PM

just say NO. when i first started quilting i made my sister one and she then said a friend of hers wanted a Wedding Ring quilt. i have yet to make one and it's been over 20 years!

Ramona Byrd 08-25-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
just say NO. when i first started quilting i made my sister one and she then said a friend of hers wanted a Wedding Ring quilt. i have yet to make one and it's been over 20 years!

------------------------------------------------------
I would have said it was marvelous the friend loved the quilt, that I would teach HER how to make one for HER friend.

Bet that would have changed her mind right there.

Willa 08-25-2011 08:00 PM

You should get out at least what you put into it for materials. From there you need to decide if you would be making this as a means of just giving you something to do or as a means of earning a little extra and if so how much extra. Then find out how much they would be willing to pay and work from there. Make sure if you do agree to make one that they agree and pay for at least materials up front and that amount is NONrefundable.

owlvamp 08-25-2011 08:04 PM

Someone will come by and tell you. I am going to watch this topic. I never know either.