Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger thread in domestic sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-thread-domestic-sewing-machine-t300742.html)

Onebyone 11-07-2018 08:22 AM

What exactly is everyone calling serger thread? Good serger thread is 40 wt 2 ply. Much to thick for piecing. It is very cheap on Superior website for their brand of serger thread. Serger thread is cheaper for a reason.

maviskw 11-07-2018 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8156510)
Seems to me thread made for serging is not as strong as piecing thread because you use three or more together in a serger so multiple threads made the seam strong.

Yes, you use three or four threads for serging but but one or two of those threads are straight, just as in regular sewing. Two threads make the loops and the others just hold the loops in place. If those straight threads break, all the loops fall apart. I don't see that happening. I use serger thread all the time.

Yes, it is two ply, but so are some other threads that are sold as sewing thread.

Stitchnripper 11-07-2018 09:35 AM

I guess it turns out to be personal preference for the process and results. I have a lot of different threads, not "married" to one brand or weight. I'll use whatever works best on a project in my machine. So far nothing has fallen apart (and I even press seams open!) and I really don't expect my quilts to be around in a hundred years. I heard a presentation by a YLI thread representative a few years ago and she said use what you like that works in your machine.

mindless 11-07-2018 10:49 AM

I once bought some Wooly Nylon serger thread...for my serger. It is a super stretchy thread that is made for knit fabrics. For things like t shirts & leggings, sweat pants etc.
One day I decided to try it out (on my domestic machine....Not the longarm) on some fmq. I used a knit needle, and loosened the tension a bit. After messing with it for a while (I had to put a spool net on the cone), it was so fun. I had it in several colors, and it added a texture that was so unexpected and cute. After practice & play, I did a whimsical bird & picket fence & flowers wall hanging. It also made cute butterflies & bees.
I don't think I will use serger thread for construction, but it's great for decoration. It works well when couching yarn or ribbon, etc. too.

Onebyone 11-07-2018 05:52 PM

Yes, it is two ply, but so are some other threads that are sold as sewing thread.
But it is 40 wt. Way to thick for piecing.

Linda1 11-08-2018 04:42 AM

I always use serger thread on all of my machines and have never had a problem. I agree with Stitchnripper. It is a matter of personal preference.

Chris G 11-08-2018 07:44 AM

I’ve also used it with a little guilt....and feel better about it now. Once upon a time I owned a costume business. I have so many colors of thread due to being anal about proper colors onthe serger. Great news to me...and away I’ll go!��

momsbusy 11-08-2018 02:20 PM

I have used it, but it is not as strong as regular thread. I quilted a quilt for myself many years ago. After a while the thread started popping creating toe catchers. I would not trust it. When you are using a serger, you are using 2 or more threads at a time.

HettyB 11-08-2018 02:42 PM

Only can report my experience - that some colours are too thick for piecing or are too weak and snap. I was given a whole box of thread that turned out to be overlocker thread and just for an experiment, I tried it in my HQ Sweet 16. The machine did not like it one bit and I don't like all the lint.

HettyB

Waal 11-08-2018 02:46 PM

I use it all the time on my domestic machine, and I use MaxiLock cones on my long arm. It works better than some of the more expensive threads I have purchased.