Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger Thread for quilting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-thread-quilting-t59158.html)

Lori S 08-13-2010 05:01 AM

Sssshhhh. Don't tell anyone but ..... I have indeed done it. I have since found threads I like better , but would have no reservations about using it again.

sunrise450 08-13-2010 05:03 AM

Wow. I have a drawer full of serger thread and never thought that I could use it in quilts. I am making yo yos. I wonder if I could use the serger thread for those. It would be so easy to fill bobbins and carry with me.
Phyllis

Melinda in Tulsa 08-13-2010 05:52 AM

I use serger thread for everything. I have one of those large spool stands sitting behind my machine. A cone of Maxilock will last forever!

ckcowl 08-13-2010 06:52 AM

been using it for years, my mother purchased a going out of business supply about 15 years ago (about 1000 cones of maxilock) so i have been helping her use it up for the past 10 years, it works just fine, i've not had any trouble with it.

cheryl222 08-13-2010 06:55 AM

I also use it for everything...piecing and longarm quilting. So much less expensive and never had had a problem. I know quilting police would be apalled, but so far none have shown up at my door!

Bluphrog 08-13-2010 06:59 AM

I was told that serger thread is spun with shorter fibers than quilting thread, so it won't be as strong.

I've been using poly/cotton thread for years in garment making, and never has the thread melted. An iron hot enough to melt thread would surely scorch the fabric.

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I read somewhere that a quilter used one of those big spools to sew her quilt. When she pressed the top, it melted the thread and it all came apart. Not sure what the thread was - but the big cone reminded me of serger thread. If your thread is 100% cotton and you like the weight, why not use it?

Candace 08-13-2010 07:04 AM

I plan on trying it as bobbin thread for embroidery, but I won't use it for quilting. Serger thread is made to have 3 to 5 overlapping threads to lock in a seam.

ibeesewin 08-13-2010 07:12 AM

Okay fellow quilters....thanks so much for all the responses. I am going to Go for it... :thumbup:
I put stitched a baby quilt for no particular reason except to use up some scraps that I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of. (having a garage sale) I figured since it is all scraps it is pretty much free...right? :lol:
I have wanted to learn FMQ for quite some time. I can do stippling but haven't attempted anything further. I didn't want to spend any money on this quilt and I have tons of serger thread so thought ...Hmmmmm... wonder if this would work.
I am going to give it a go this evening. Have the grandkids most of the day and then a visit with my parents.
I will keep you posted on my venture.
:lol:

Melinda in Tulsa 08-13-2010 08:29 AM

Go for it! :thumbup: I have been very pleased using. I'm not makeing heirloom quilts and don't care if they last 100 years or more. I have so much serger thread and rarely serge anything since I got into quilting. It sure is alot cheaper. :lol: :lol:

AnnieF 08-13-2010 08:34 AM

I had picked up a couple of cones of the serger thread to use for FMQ and was told by the clerk at the fabric store that serger thread was not a good idea for quilting. It is too thin....it has to be to because you use 3 or 4 strands to serge.....and there's a bit of stretch to it....neither is good when you are quilting to hold 3 layers of fabric together.