Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Serger Thread for quilting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/serger-thread-quilting-t59158.html)

grann of 6 08-15-2010 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by lynn2354
Has anyone ever used serger thread for free motion quilting?
I was thinking that since it is made specifically for high speed sewing that maybe it would work for machine quilting.
The thread I have now is 100% cotton which from what I have been reading is the thread that most FMQ use.

Just make sure you are using a good quality serger thread. There are cheap ones out there and they don't hold up. Serger thread doesn't fuzz (or lint) like regular thread, but most of my serger thread has a polyester core to make it strong. Try it and see if it works for you.

cjk 08-15-2010 04:59 AM

I've used it for years! Love it.

Sewze 08-15-2010 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rainbow
Now, this is a Wonderful time for this thread....am buying my daughter a serger and this question came up. Thanks all !!

I agree........this is a Wonderful time for this thread as I just purchased my LA and am having trouble locally finding 100% Cotton on a cone and thought I'd have to order online; but, do have about 75 cones of Serger thread. Some of it is Maxi Lock and it says 100% Polyester and the other is just generic Overlock that says 100% Spun Polyester. I am going to give it a try when I start playing, as soon as I get off this board and finish puting the frame together. Thanks everyone for your wonderful contributions and just at the right time. :thumbup:

quilt3311 08-15-2010 05:55 AM

I've used it for piecing but not for quilting. I think I would heat test any thread before using a lot of it. If it melts when ironed toss it out.

gramblue 08-15-2010 06:32 AM

Yes, I too, have used serger thread both in my sewing machine for piecing and with my Voyager 17. No problem at all. Its a good way to use up all that serger thread I have.

Olivia's Grammy 08-15-2010 07:59 AM

MaxiLock serger thread is the only thread my picky HQ16 will sew with. The timeing got out of wach last year due to a grave error that the first tech made in repairing it. If I use anything else it shreads. However, when I get it serviced again the problem may be fixed or made worse.

grann of 6 08-15-2010 08:10 AM

Just got some hand quilting thread that is Mettler and is made in Spain. Checked all my Gutermann and it is made in Germany. I will have to look more closely when I buy new thread for the Mexico stuff; don't want that. I do hope everyone with electronic machines keep their machines serviced, as the lint can be a real problem. I do my machines yearly, more often if I have sewed a lot of flannel or fleece.

SaundraW 08-15-2010 08:22 AM

Yes, I have used serer thread for quilting I have a Millennium Quilting Machine and it worked fine ,you may have to adjust you tension a little. I also use embroidery thread it put's a shine on the stitching and is quite lovely.

cattailsquilts 08-15-2010 09:02 AM

I was having problems with my thread breaking in my Pfaff GrandQuilter, so out of curiosity I threaded it up with a cone of Maxi-Lock serger thread. SOOO much better! I did have to clean out a bit of lint, but that comes with the territory as a quilter.

DeniseP 08-15-2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cdcatlovers
I have used the MaxiLock serger thread numerous times on my FMQ and I like it. It is 100% cotton and fairly reasonably priced. I haven't had any problems with it even after wash and ironing the quilt. But would be open to other users comments. Someone told me that it is a little lighter weight than other threads because it is meant to be used in combination with other strands of serger thread on the serger, but so far no problems, and it doesn't list a weight on the cones.

MaxiLock thread is not 100% cotton, it is 100% polyester. If you read inside the cone you will see this. I do not find serger thread to be strong enough to hold a quilt together for years to come. If you pull on the thread, it breaks easily and a quilt is too much work to have it come apart.